Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4b11 good for 400whp?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
How can you effectively use a 700whp Evo or a 1000whp Cobra? You can't without a race course. But to arbitrarily decide what is too much for someone else using your own set of values is lame.
That's what everyone does, it's called having an opinion, you know, the very things that keep a forum like evom alive. I never said "a 400 WHP car is useless" I asked "why would you want a 400 WHP FWD car?". If he said "I race in SCCA" I'd go "well that makes sense, check the classing though to make sure you don't bring a knife to a gun fight" but if he said "I don't know, I just thought it was a good number", I'd suggest he actually drive one first and then decide.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
A lot of people seem to shoot for some arbitrary number (300 WHP, 400 WHP) without having any experience in terms of what that number actually means and feels like.
My GS-T had about 300whp on my old setup. I've since gotten a new engine and changed a few things around. Should be around 350-375whp now. 400 is only a few tweaks away.

I have no problem "effectively using it" driving it around or enjoying it. Nor do the thousands of other people with high powered Hondas, SRT-4s, etc etc. I know people pushing way more then me through the front wheels and they love their cars too, go figure.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I asked "why would you want a 400 WHP FWD car?". If he said "I race in SCCA" I'd go "well that makes sense, check the classing though to make sure you don't bring a knife to a gun fight" but if he said "I don't know, I just thought it was a good number", I'd suggest he actually drive one first and then decide.
The question was whether the block could handle it. Not if Amby thinks its a wise goal to have for someone tuning their car. Even if he does "bring a knife to a gun fight" with a 400whp Lancer, at least he's enjoying the use of HIS car, and it doesn't have to meet your approval to do so, nor does it matter if he doesn't dominate all the other cars he runs against. IF he's building it just for highway pulls, or drag racing or just cause, that's perfectly okay too.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course its ok to build a 400hp fwd car if it meets your desires. I think all Amby was doing was trying to ask the OP a good question so they don't set out on such a lucrative goal without truly knowing what they want.

In my opinion 400 whp on a lancer is asking for trouble. At least when you reach that HP number on a civic there are plentiful and cheap aftermarket replacement parts to put your car back together.

Back on topic- 400 Hp on the stock block? I would really doubt it. But then again, you can have stock mustang GTs that blow at 450whp and some that blow at 550whp. It seems that oftentimes it's in the tune
Old May 28, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

My GS-T had about 300whp on my old setup. I've since gotten a new engine and changed a few things around. Should be around 350-375whp now. 400 is only a few tweaks away.

I have no problem "effectively using it" driving it around or enjoying it. Nor do the thousands of other people with high powered Hondas, SRT-4s, etc etc. I know people pushing way more then me through the front wheels and they love their cars too, go figure.
Do they actually legitimately use the power? Really? There is a vast difference between liking the power and using it. There are guys with stock Vettes that absolutely love the power but they don't use it, they often post slower lap times than people in Civics who use every ounce of power they have effectively.
Old May 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

The question was whether the block could handle it. Not if Amby thinks its a wise goal to have for someone tuning their car. Even if he does "bring a knife to a gun fight" with a 400whp Lancer, at least he's enjoying the use of HIS car, and it doesn't have to meet your approval to do so, nor does it matter if he doesn't dominate all the other cars he runs against. IF he's building it just for highway pulls, or drag racing or just cause, that's perfectly okay too.
Originally Posted by mtags24
Of course its ok to build a 400hp fwd car if it meets your desires. I think all Amby was doing was trying to ask the OP a good question so they don't set out on such a lucrative goal without truly knowing what they want.

In my opinion 400 whp on a lancer is asking for trouble. At least when you reach that HP number on a civic there are plentiful and cheap aftermarket replacement parts to put your car back together.

Back on topic- 400 Hp on the stock block? I would really doubt it. But then again, you can have stock mustang GTs that blow at 450whp and some that blow at 550whp. It seems that oftentimes it's in the tune
^This, it's pretty clear this has nothing to do with the topic at hand or even my response, you just don't like the fact that I was the one saying it. This comes up in seemingly every thread that I post in that you decide to grace with your presence as well.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, a shop should just run a 250 shot of nitrous oxide and see what happens. I'm sure a 4B11 motor can be picked up from the junkyard for about $1500-$2000. Small investment for the thousands they would make from selling internals to make 400whp+ lancer.
Old May 28, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Defcon5Es
The more hp you get the more problems you get, know what i'm saying.
TRUE THAT BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............... ........................
Old May 28, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bladed
lol, a shop should just run a 250 shot of nitrous oxide and see what happens. I'm sure a 4B11 motor can be picked up from the junkyard for about $1500-$2000. Small investment for the thousands they would make from selling internals to make 400whp+ lancer.
Why would a shop spend 2000$ just to blow up a motor? It's a pretty big risk since a blown up motor could cause more damage than you think (ie. wreck the car). Moreover, ask Buschur or RRM how much they've made on internals for Lancers. Buschur used to make a variety of Lancer parts, including higher compression pistons but they left the market altogether because the parts never sold. People said they wanted this, that and the other but when push came to shove, they simply weren't willing to pony up the cash. The same thing happened with RRM and their high compression pistons. Even for normal, forged pistons, I doubt they have a huge margin on the products. You're forgetting the potential R&D that needs to go in as well (although this may not always apply). If they make 10 sets of pistons at 500$ a pop, they could potentially have 5000$ of product sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. There's a reason why a lot of group buys fail and why plenty of companies won't even consider making a part until they have 10+ people with money in hand ready to go (and require significant deposits to get started).
Old May 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Very valid points amby, I just think with the new generation of lancer owners, people are willing to spend more money. We are 2 years into the new motor and there are already quite a few turbo kits running around, not to mention just about every 08+ lancer i see on the roads has some aftermarket exhaust and intake. Unfortunately, not many of them are posting on forums. It just seems the 4B11 is a better platform to start with, granted its not nearly as good as the K series or any factory forced induced motor. With the last generation of lancers, people would spend thousands of dollars for 5-10whp increase, unless they got a turbo. Now people are gaining 15-25whp+ for around $500-$800, still not nearly as good of a gain as an Evo or even an SI, but it's a gain that many people think is worth the money. With better internals im sure we would see huge gains in forced induction. If there was a kit that came with pistons, a full turbo kit, better fuel delivery and tuned for 400whp for around $6,000, it would sell very well after a couple of years.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't seen any indication of that though, the Lancer is still an economy car and is still a first car for many people. Hell, people bawk at the price of current mods which are pretty damn cheap in the big picture. A 6000$, all in kit would be virtually impossible. A good turbo kit is close to that and decent pistons and rods are just shy of 2000$. Install would set you back quite a bit as well. I can't see a lot of people being willing to drop nearly 10000$ in one big clump. A big factor of course is the transmission, nobody knows how much power the CVT can handle and I believe RRM ran into an issue when developing their current turbo kit that took quite a while to solve. Why spend big bucks and take a risk developing parts for a car that can only be used by say half of the owners? There's also the issue of the change in motors between the 2008 and 2009 models (2.0 L vs 2.4 L motors).
Old May 29, 2009, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

I think we're forgetting the fact that the 2.0T Genesis uses the 4b11t not the 4b11. It's just Hyundais variation of the DSM motor(if it is still DSM, I don't have time to keep up with the corporations political games). 4b11t is also in the Caliber SRT-4... not the 4b11. In order to get the lancer to 400whp you will need A) engine internal work done or B) a 4b11t swap. I agree with amby tho, the majority of people that want these massive amounts of power will never use them... Although it is up to the creator I believe if your going to post numbers like this you should be hitting the tracks on race days.

Yes these numbers would be amazing to see in a Lancer but I can say I am fairly certain the general public wont see them.
Old May 29, 2009, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
I think we're forgetting the fact that the 2.0T Genesis uses the 4b11t not the 4b11. It's just Hyundais variation of the DSM motor(if it is still DSM, I don't have time to keep up with the corporations political games). 4b11t is also in the Caliber SRT-4... not the 4b11. In order to get the lancer to 400whp you will need A) engine internal work done or B) a 4b11t swap. I agree with amby tho, the majority of people that want these massive amounts of power will never use them... Although it is up to the creator I believe if your going to post numbers like this you should be hitting the tracks on race days.

Yes these numbers would be amazing to see in a Lancer but I can say I am fairly certain the general public wont see them.
Caliber srt4 uses the 4b12.
Genesis coupe uses a much weaker 4b11, nothing like the Mitsu 4b11t.
I honestly believe that their will be a bigger market for he 4b12 internals. Evo guys would use them as well as Lancer guys. More potential with the added displacement. Plus, there NEEDS to be some sort of LSD before even thinking of power like that.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Do they actually legitimately use the power?
Yeah they legitamately do.

Really? There is a vast difference between liking the power and using it.
This is just more preachy nonsense. But just to be sure I'll tell this to all my firends with high powered cars and gauge their reaction. I bet they'll have the same response I did when I read it, which is .

Originally Posted by mtags24
The OP didn't say "I want to build a 400whp car" He asked if the block was good for it. That's the problem, people like Amby don't read it, don't try to comprehend the post, don't even try to answer it, but start putting in their own two cents about why it should or shouldn't be done or why they think its a bad decision. The thread gets derailed off into a tangent that has nothing to do with the original post. Here it is again:

Originally Posted by brndn23
I wonder how accurate this is?? I am talking about the open-deck 4b11, not the semi-closed 4b11t. I heard the on gencoupe.com forums. Luke from BeyondRedline took one apart from the genesis and says it looks good for 400whp possibly with out changes to the block/reinforcements/block guard. Is the genesis theta 4b11 the same as the mitsu "world" 4b11??? The pics on the site of the genesis 2.0 loook like it is no diff than the lancer 2.0, except for the fact that the genesis 2.0 is turbo'd. What are your thoughts??
Nowehere does it say "I want to build a 400whp car, someone smarter then me please try to talk me out if it." He asks, if it is true that the 4b11 block is good for 400whp. Maybe he wants to build a 300whp car and it would be good peace of mind to know that he's well under the limit, I dunno. Doesn't matter, all this discussion should be about is wether the block or stock bottom end can handle it.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 29, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mayhem7o2
It's just Hyundais variation of the DSM motor(if it is still DSM, I don't have time to keep up with the corporations political games).
Hyundai's version of the 4B11 in the Genesis is not related to a DSM motor at all, nor is it any kind of "variation" of it. Turbo DSMs use 4G63Ts and are the same engines found in Galant VR4's or detuned versions of Evolutions of similar vintage. Turbo DSMs use Mitsubishi 4G63Ts.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 29, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 4b11 good for 400whp?