Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake side woes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2002, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake side woes

Okay...the Lancer isn't powerful to begin with but with the right touches, it can be made fast. This will concern the intake side of things. Cliff measured the stock throttle body (TB) at 63.5 mm. This hole is an entire 12mm smaller than the hole in the intake manifold, being 75.5 mm's. Another thing to notice is the size of the intake manifold itself. This thing is HUGE! It could possibly have a diffuser built into it, as to disturb airflow into the cylinders sapping power. The size also lends its hand to showing that there is a significantly smaller vacuum, and hence less air, being pulled into the engine. All these things make for a rather poor way to make power on the intake side. However...there may be a way around this...

Hypothetically (without service manuals we have no definite way of knowing), it may be possible to switch in a larger (if it even is larger) Evo TB (due to its turbo nature) to perhaps make a bit of compensation for the woefully undersized stock Lancer TB. Another solution, and probably cheaper as well, is of course, a completely new Lancer TB, perhaps by some brand like Holley. RRM's bored out TB (+4mm over stock) is nice, but lacks an extra 8mm's of power making space. However, this is with good cause as anything over the 4mm requires the construction of a new TB. Now...another option is completely swapping out the stock Lancer manifold and TB and perhaps replacing it completely with an Evo manifold, injectors and all as well. More fuel and more air is always good. The Evo manifold is visibly smaller, showing that it has a much tighter vacuum with which to force air into the cylinders. This is all hypothetical but considering the Lancer (4G94) and Evo (4G63) engines are both 4G blocks, it may be possible...however, this is still all theory.

Last edited by pjal84; Jun 5, 2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2002, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

If anyone RMR guys are reading this have you tried this out already? If not would you guys be willing to try the intake swap?
Old Jun 6, 2002, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

No one finds this interesting? Me=nerd, this I know but come on, this is pretty relevant stuff.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

I went over this stuff with cliff last night. I'm not in the mood to talk about it anymore
Old Jun 6, 2002, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think we talked about manifold swapping outright B. We're trying to see if its possible to pull a performance swap similiar to what you can do on the honda.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 01:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I do, but I'm too bogged down at work to comment.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

Can't you just swap heads?
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by b_tapper
Can't you just swap heads?
Cliff and I tossed this around and it wouldn't seem worth it. The second cam would need a new ECU (maybe an Evo one, and if not that, a really expensive aftermarket one) and new belts. Cost alone would be staggering as well. Considering the nature of the Lancer, a head swap would be a bit overkill. The manifold with TB and a nice port n' polish would probably suffice?
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
I do, but I'm too bogged down at work to comment.
You do what
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Honda heads get swapped all the time...make a hybrid mitsubishi. Going fast = $$$ so
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

i believe he sells cell phones like me loneeeeee but back on topic......what the hell are u talking about how could u get evo parts in the us??? i didnt think u could import evo parts....or am i just wrong and retarded??
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm a credit analyst. I'm sitting here looking at people's credit reports and reviewing, grading, approving, declining, stressing, eating, smoking, screaming, and pulling my hair out...and I find time to browse the boards too.

I like the idea of a head swap, but I dunno crap bout em. Sounds interesting though. Gotta read.

EDIT: It's perfectly legal to import Evo parts. Technically it's not even "importing" it's just uh..."international shipping" :P
Evolved Member

We are talking about taking off the Lancer's complete intake manifold assembly and swapping it out for the Evolution's intake manifold assembly. Since RMR has both cars I'm asking if they know or could try said swap out. Yes you can import evolution parts. Although I'm sure they would cost you an arm and a leg, if the swap worked suceccessfully it would be the most benificial intake upgrade possible for the Lancer.
Evolved Member

Pretty easy to get. Even on ebay sometimes. The car gets wrecked, they cut it in half, companies buy them and export them to the US.
Old Jun 6, 2002, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

sorry, didnt mean to be such a newb, but was unsure of the fact of "internationaly shipping" parts to the us

Quick Reply: Intake side woes