Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

after car accident repair issues.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after car accident repair issues.....

so little background info to help out. my lil bro got into a front end car accident with the lancer in Boston. basically did a good amount of damage...new front bumper/2 headlights/hood/front 2 quarter panels/hinges/fog lights/and all the other little minor things. parts alone came out to $4,900.

i took a bus from NJ to boston to pick it up from the dealer so i can inspect the car before i signed off on it and then drove it back to NJ (250 mile trip). NOW to the part were im thinking theres a issue. i start the car up today and im hearing a ticking noise as if the timing chain (if this motor actually has it) is messed up. i didn't hear this noise when i first got the car. my question is does anyone have any ideas of what could be the reason the car is making that noise? cause like i said idk if this motor comes with a timing chain or if its a belt......

thanks in advance
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lancers in general tick loudly. post a video of it and it can be more helpful. i find that after an accident or something major like adding a mod or doing something that you might think could harm your car, you start to hear and feel t hings you thought were never there. turns out it was just your imagination or your 2nd guessing yourself.

post a video of your engine idleing and ill be able to tell you if it sounds normal.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bdmaxima
so little background info to help out. my lil bro got into a front end car accident with the lancer in Boston. basically did a good amount of damage...new front bumper/2 headlights/hood/front 2 quarter panels/hinges/fog lights/and all the other little minor things. parts alone came out to $4,900.

i took a bus from NJ to boston to pick it up from the dealer so i can inspect the car before i signed off on it and then drove it back to NJ (250 mile trip). NOW to the part were im thinking theres a issue. i start the car up today and im hearing a ticking noise as if the timing chain (if this motor actually has it) is messed up. i didn't hear this noise when i first got the car. my question is does anyone have any ideas of what could be the reason the car is making that noise? cause like i said idk if this motor comes with a timing chain or if its a belt......

thanks in advance
It is a belt. My guess (w/o hearing it) is the fan is hitting something when it comes on, a relay, or if it is internal to the engine maybe the vvt controller. Usually, if it is a timing belt problem, it won't be long before the valves and pistons "come to blows". Hard to say. Take it to the dealer.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:14 AM

thnx for the info guys. im going to take it to the dealer monday so they can take a look at it. and i will take a video of the car idling also. i understand what your saying "hearing" problems. i use to hear things that sounded weird all the time when i was modding my maxima.

i have to drop it off the dealer who originally fixed it since they need to fix up some minor paint issues so i need to find out if something is actually wrong, so they can fix the new problems at the same time.

.....still want to murder my lil bro for doing this to a 2 months old car even if theres nothing really wrong with the car lol