Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

How to: remove crank pulley.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Q15H
130 Ft-Lbs isn't particularily tight. Most suspension bolts go tighter than that. a 2+ foot breaker bar will be more than sufficient (unless you only weigh 50 Lbs...).

The crank bolt that holds the pulley on is a normal, right-hand thread, just a bit larger on thread size.

Since you're in process of disassembling the engine, just take off the sump (oil pan) (NOTE - drain the oil first!) and stuff a piece of hard wood between the block and one of the crank counterweights (you can use a prybar or wrench, but there is a possibility of damaging something should it slip). That will keep the crank from turning and allow you to loosen the bolt. If it's mounted on an engine stand, it is a simple piece of pie.

Next to that get a flywheel holder ($20) that bolts to the rear of the block and fits to at least two ring gear teeth. That will keep the crank/flywheel from turning so you can easily loosen the front bolt.
engine is fully dissasembled. problem was i had no air tools and my engine stand wouldnt stay still well enough(would rotate or slide a little) with hand tools with trying to break it free because i had no one to help me. i know how to stop the crank from moving. but i couldnt do that and stop the stand from sliding at the same time. once i figured out how to give it a good hit or two it all broke free. rest i got some assistance of a friend to help hold it and i used a 3' long extension on everything else. question wasnt because i dont know how to do it.. question was because i couldnt do it by myself with the tools and had and how the engine was setup on the stand. and i was also double checken the thread because it was being difficult at first, and i wasnt 100% sure on why it wasnt breaking free. thanks for your interest, i really wish i still had all my real tools and were just stuck with the basics right now. i </3 my dad for jackin all my stuff i use.

oh.. and for the record..i have air tools now. lol went and got some today because i got tired of trying to break stuff free by hand. i hate not knowing what tools i need, im always missing something.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
Sounds like you need a better engine stand - one that has one of those pins that keeps the head from rotating.

Good to hear you got it all apart.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
^
Sounds like you need a better engine stand - one that has one of those pins that keeps the head from rotating.

Good to hear you got it all apart.
well it has a pretty big pin. but it still rotates like.. 1-2 inches. after spining it a few times i gave up on fighting to put the pin back in. and im using a screw driver now.. still moves 2-3 inches. its only a temporary stand to hold the motor and make it easier on my back and keep it off the ground.. im not even doing the assembly process, i just needed to gut it before i took it to my machine shop.. ill be taken the stand over the EPM just to hold my motor of the ground once i get it back, and so its easier to roll around. im gunna get some ghetto cherry picker to make swappin the motors easier also. i used a table and a lift last time(dropped motor/trans/cradle onto table, lifted car away). dont have that option right now..
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

mine is still on the car and i cant get that ***** off for nothing. tried beating it with a hammer/wrench and also took a 220ft lb impact and so far nothing. any ideas? im going to get some PB blaster and try that if nobody has any other suggestions
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lumpydonut
mine is still on the car and i cant get that ***** off for nothing. tried beating it with a hammer/wrench and also took a 220ft lb impact and so far nothing. any ideas? im going to get some PB blaster and try that if nobody has any other suggestions
You need a bigger impact than that. I got tired of dealing with the honda crank pulleys. (notorious for being some of the tightest around) and bought an impact with 710 ft ibs. Nothing has stopped it yet. Although I dont personally recommend it you can put a breaker bar on it that will reach the ground and bump the starter so the bar hits the ground and breaks loose the bolt.
Note: I would have the breaker bar already touching the ground before bumping the starter.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

thats what my buddy at work told me. which way does the crank turn though? and idk if that will work seeing as how the reason I need it off it to change my crank position sensor so idk if my car will turn over
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

The starter will engage to engine no problem you just need to bump it. If your looking through the passenger wheel well the crank pulley turns clockwise when the starter kicks it so you will want the breaker bar pointed towards the front of the car so the starter will push the bar to the ground.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

If its in the car still.. Unhook the Crank sensor. and/or undo the coil packs.. use a 1-2ft breaker bar, and put it in a position that it wont move and crank the car quickly.. it will break loose easilly..

all u really need is a 2 ft breaker bar on the end of ur 1/2 wrench and give it a good leftyloosey pull or two. just dont try to throw your back out. but using the starter to bump the engine while a wrench is holding it is normally the easiest way to do it. just dont break a hand/finger to do it..
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'll get me a breaker bar and try that. I had a big 19mm wrench on it trying to turn that sucker and I thought I had it.... Well I didn't. The engine just turned a piston lol
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

is your friend for jobs like that.

Specs: 1/2" sq. dr.; 9/16" std. bolt size; working torque range 50-600 ft lbs.; NBT 1,000 ft. lbs.; ultimate torque, 625 ft lbs. forward, 700 ft lbs. reverse; avg. air cons. 5 cfm; air inlet 1/4" min. hose size 3/8". Ship. wt. 5 lbs.
* NBT (Nut Busting Torque): This tool will loosen a nut tightened to 1,000 ft./lbs. in 6 seconds.
It got the axle nut off my 93 Delsol on the first pull of the trigger.
That's after I bent a 48" cheater bar.

Someone said something about 120psi vs 150psi. It's not the PSI output of the compressor that matters. It's how strong your impact is. Most air impacts are rated at 90psi anyway.
I had tried to remove the same nut with my own impact. I borrowed the impact pictured above, hooked it up to the same compressor I was using with my own impact and the nut got removed on first try. So it's not the compressor's output that matters.

Last edited by blaze_125; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Dont forget about your CFM output of your compressor. You are correct with psi not mattering as much. My craftsman with 710 ft Lbs of reverse torque is rated for 90 psi. However when I first got it I still was running 3/8" air line and my compressor could not get enough cfm to the impact and it still would not pull off the bolt from hell I was working on lol. Went and bought 1/2" hose and it brought it to life. One pull for like 1 second and that baby zipped right off
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpydonut
I have an 1/2" electric impact, I think rated at 240lbs that took it off. It took a solid minute or more of "impacting" to eventually get it loose, but it finally came off. Added a few bursts in the tighten direction as well hoping to help knock it loose.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so getting the crank pulley bolt off was easy, now I just can't seem to get the pulley off the crank lol.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Sometimes you need a gear/pulley puller to remove them if they have never been off or its been a long time since it was off. You might try spraying some penetrating fluid behind the pulley and smack it around a bit with a rubber mallet.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yep got the gear puller and it popped right off, got home with a new water pump and realized I didn't have any gasket sealer... fml

how do I tighten the crank pulley bolt when finished?

and is there anything else I need to do before I start my car besides making sure the timing marks line up?

Last edited by eusgen; Apr 11, 2013 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: How to: remove crank pulley.