Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

How to: remove crank pulley.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How to: remove crank pulley.

Might sound dumb, but

1.. engine is on a engine stand..
2.. i dont have air tools..
3.. i dont have a friend

MOTOR IS NOT IN A VEHICLE.. not exactly an easy task..

and to double check.. is the crank bolt righty tight? or right loosy? (is it a reversed spline?)

once i get the crank pulley off i can get the rest of the timing belt and pieces off so i can leave the motor for assembly, droppin it off monday for the block to be cleaned decked honed and assembled with all the new parts.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 28, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its normal thread so lefty loosy. that bolt is tightened to something like 132 ft lbs or so. I had air tools and the 120 psi i had wasnt enough to rip it off. I had to take the motor to a shop that had a 150 psi compressor and have them zip it off. The only other way I know to get it loose only works with the engine in the vehicle. So I dunno what to tell you, you'll have to find someone with the proper air tools and pressure to get it off. sorry the news wasnt any better.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea, without air tools it is pretty much impossible. The crank pulley bolt is tightened down to 134+-3 ft-lb. With another person there you might be able to use a flywheel holder to immobilize the rotating assembly enough to loosen the crank pulley bolt, but the easiest way is a good 1/2" impact gun.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest you spend the money and get a compressor and air tools it makes everything easier from automotive to carpentry painting its worth the upfront cost.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

I had a similar issue , you will need the assistance of a buddy , get him to hold the flywheel / flexplate any way possible a screwdriver, a prybar, any way you think you can hold it. then put a wrench on the bolt and hit it with a hammer , that will simulate an impact wrench. that's what we did and it worked great.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

alrightly. i got an idea on how to do it then. thanks guys. its just really annoying sometimes not having air tools anymore.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

oh.. no one said anything about it being a normal thread or not.. is it right tighty lefty loosey for the crank pulley? or is it reversed spline?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

It is normal thread
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Another way could be put two of the flywheel bolts back into the threads, and have a buddy hold a crowbar between then take a good 24" breaker bar to the pulley.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

ya i got it off.. i put a 1/2' wrench threw the flywheel plate and a 1/2' wrachet in the crank pulley and have it 2 really hard wack with a hammer. it broke loose.. no assistance was needed.. the one wrench stopped the flywheel from moving anywhere..

now im stuck, still need air tools. so im headed to epm with my motor to get the last few small things off.. then im droppin it off tomorrow moring at psi for them to do just about everything to it.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you make bank!!! Lol why dont you have air tools? There a must!!!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

how do you know i make bank? LOL.. i use to have air tools. but it was all my dads stuff that he left with me.. he came and got it all after 2 years of being out of state.. i dont want to go buy all new stuff till i move into my new house(not for another year). i have my basic tools i need for workin on the car. i dont have any stuff for workin on EVERYTHING. lol
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Lol Another thread I remember we had a discussion over your profession. Your in school but also like an insurance adjuster or something like that right?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

yep, u got it right. (insurance adjuster actually, not agent, i do roofing estimates mainly.)
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

130 Ft-Lbs isn't particularily tight. Most suspension bolts go tighter than that. a 2+ foot breaker bar will be more than sufficient (unless you only weigh 50 Lbs...).

The crank bolt that holds the pulley on is a normal, right-hand thread, just a bit larger on thread size.

Since you're in process of disassembling the engine, just take off the sump (oil pan) (NOTE - drain the oil first!) and stuff a piece of hard wood between the block and one of the crank counterweights (you can use a prybar or wrench, but there is a possibility of damaging something should it slip). That will keep the crank from turning and allow you to loosen the bolt. If it's mounted on an engine stand, it is a simple piece of pie.

Next to that get a flywheel holder ($20) that bolts to the rear of the block and fits to at least two ring gear teeth. That will keep the crank/flywheel from turning so you can easily loosen the front bolt.

Quick Reply: How to: remove crank pulley.