Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

How to: remove crank pulley.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I turn the Cam to line up the timing marks? Just turn it clockwise with a wrench?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you line up the timing marks before removing the old timing belt? You have to be careful, you can easily be out 180 degrees since the crank move 2-1 of the cam. Yeah, just put a wrench on the cam and turn to the desired position. If too difficult to move, take out a spark plug. I used a razor blade as a straight edge to line up the timing mark since it's on a slight angle. Make sure after you tighten the belt back up, turn the engine and check for interference and make sure the marks still line up. Sometimes after the belt gets tight, you can be off a tooth.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

what could happen if I am off by 180?

god I really feel stupid now cause I have no idea if its right and I just finished slapping it back together

I turned the crankshaft pulley by hand clockwise and I can't tell if there is "interference"

all I know is it goes from difficult to turn to really easy one second to difficult again. I can't feel a change in difficulty/ease in cranking it from when I first started the job.

Is there any way to tell if the timing is off 180 before I turn the car on?

Last edited by eusgen; Apr 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

waiting for a reply before I start my car :X

Originally Posted by eusgen
what could happen if I am off by 180?

god I really feel stupid now cause I have no idea if its right and I just finished slapping it back together

I turned the crankshaft pulley by hand clockwise and I can't tell if there is "interference"

all I know is it goes from difficult to turn to really easy one second to difficult again. I can't feel a change in difficulty/ease in cranking it from when I first started the job.

Is there any way to tell if the timing is off 180 before I turn the car on?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waiting for a reply before I start my car :X
Your feeling of one second tight then the next loose is normal assuming your spark plugs are in. This is just the engine's compression. Did you double check the marks by spinning the engine 2-4 times before you reinstalled the cover? By the way not to scare you but if you did happen to get it wrong then the first time you spin it around the damage will be done. Let hope this is not the case

Last edited by 03lances; Apr 12, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I turned it two times to make sure the timing marks stayed lined up and then put the cover back on and put it all back together.

Last edited by eusgen; Apr 12, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

so I might as well walk outside and start it up?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

started it up, sounds like a turd.

Going to take the whole god d*** thing apart tommorow and turn the crank one full turn after removing the t-belt and hope the timing is right the second time around.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry bro had someone come over for some car work so I had to take off for a few. If it runs at all then you likely are only off by one tooth. Double check to make sure its not something simple like you forgot to plug in one coli pack or something it happens and it would still run on 2 cylinders
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Sorry bro had someone come over for some car work so I had to take off for a few. If it runs at all then you likely are only off by one tooth. Double check to make sure its not something simple like you forgot to plug in one coli pack or something it happens and it would still run on 2 cylinders
so even being one tooth off will make it run like crap?

and after I put it all back together I sat on it for about two hours making sure I had everything connected. It has to be the timing.

Last edited by eusgen; Apr 12, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

so even being one tooth off will make it run like crap?

and after I put it all back together I sat on it for about two hours making sure I had everything connected. It has to be the timing.
One tooth off will absolutely make it run like crap. 2 teeth it may not start at all.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
One tooth off will absolutely make it run like crap. 2 teeth it may not start at all.
ok thank you for all your help I will try and sort it all out in the morning
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

I got the timing marks exactly where they should be this time and put it all together started it up and it is ticking real bad and when I gave it a little gas it bogged down. Could I be off 180?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHVN...ature=youtu.be

waiting for my laptop to charge so I can check for codes, wouldnt I be throwing like a misfire code or something?

Last edited by eusgen; Apr 13, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Did another compression test and got 120 125 190 and 180 (from left to right standing in front of the engine)

My original results before doing the timing belt and f@$*ing up my engine were 170 180 180 170.

I guess its time to pull the valve cover/head?

sorry for all the posts I'm just stressin out right now trying to figure out how I am going to get from A to B.

Last edited by eusgen; Apr 13, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Did another compression test and got 120 125 190 and 180 (from left to right standing in front of the engine)

My original results before doing the timing belt and f@$*ing up my engine were 170 180 180 170.

I guess its time to pull the valve cover/head?

sorry for all the posts I'm just stressin out right now trying to figure out how I am going to get from A to B.
How far off were they? It most definitely looks like pulling the head may be necessary . Dont be too discouraged though its not that difficult and a couple new valves is only like $20-$30. Just buy a head gasket set so you get all the other gaskets with it (intake, exhaust, valver cover etc.)

One thing you need to do now that you have the marks correct is right before you pull the belt back off mark the belt and gears with paint, white out whatever will show up. Also paint an arrow on top of the belt showing the rotation. This way when you put it all back together you just have to match the mark on the belt with the mark on the gear.

Quick Reply: How to: remove crank pulley.