Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Question bout making exhaust louder

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bout making exhaust louder

Hey guys, I just got a magnaflow muffler welded on my car with 4in tip an it does sound better but would like it a lil louder. Any suggestions that wouldn't void the warranty?
Old May 1, 2012, 08:41 PM

anything you do to the car can void your warranty Mitsubishi has been known to void warranties as simple as a intake. Give your exhaust time it will get louder but not much, if your car has a resonator then cut it and add just a straight pipe that will make it louder. Magnaflow exhaust in general are deep sounding exhaust, if you would have installed a ebay exhaust then you will get that loud raspy sound.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:13 PM

Yeah, I was thinkin the resonator might but wasn't sure though. Guess I better hope nothing goes wrong with the car. I guess I'll just wait a lil while before I straight pipe the resonator. How much of a difference will it make?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:32 PM

For the record, something counts as voiding your warranty if and only if Mitsubishi can show that your modification had a direct impact on what went wrong with your car. Ex. If let's say that the headlamps are covered under warranty, and they go out. Mitsubishi won't say to you, hey, you installed a different muffler, your warranty is voided, you can't have a new light, unless that muffler caused some sort of exhaust leak which got the gases caught in the lens and blah blah blah, you get it. Ya take the resonator out. Also, have a look at the plastic bit that feeds air from the nose of your car to the air box. If you take that front most piece off. (Really simple just a couple of plastic clips) and have a look inside. You'll notice that theres a small section which veers off a little bit. That is acting as an intake resonator. If you cover that up with something that will stay put, that will make the car slightly louder too.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:23 PM

Awesome thanks. Yeah that definitely makes sense, I just know the dealerships back home would do that just cuz they're cheap asses. Im gonna try that though. I just don't wanna end up throwing too much on it an start voiding the warranty and it not riding and runnin smooth like my other car is
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

NOTHING and I repeat, NOTHING will void the warranty of the car unless they can prove it was the reason that said warranty issue is present. They can try and tell you all day long that this and that voids your warranty. But there is an act called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It forces the dealers to have actual physical evidence. If they try to refuse transmission work because you installed an aftermarket intake all you have to say is well the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act states differently and I suggest you make your manager and service techs aware of how this act protects consumers like me from cheating scammers like you. They can ***** and moan all they want, you are still protected under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. You also have legal options if they still try to refuse the claim.

If you drill a hole in any of the pipes after the resonator and catalytic converts your exhaust will get louder lol...But in general there is no good way to make one louder than it already is. That is why there are different mufflers and exhaust setups that have different sounds.

Last edited by Stuntfly02; Jun 13, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:21 AM

Sweet,I never heard about that.thanks for the info,I feel alot better about it now
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:22 AM

Good stuff posted here - thnx Stuntfly2..

I have a general question tho..
Im looking more for opinions..

I have a CVT lancer, auto-

I want an exhaust..

First: How do most ppl here feel about an exhaust being put on a Lancer CVT auto tranny. UselesS? i just want a little more rumble ya kno?

Next. Anyone heard of Tsudo? good brand?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't say it's useless at all. I have a header,catless dp, an Megan racing exhaust on my g5 auto an I could tell a big difference. An axleback of course wouldn't make the same amount of difference as all those mods on my g5 but it will free up some pressure regardless of the trans. I will say if your mainly looking for sound go for it. Tsudo, I've never had experience with. I hear it's good for the price but I dunno