Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Exhaust Resonator Mid Pipe Differences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Resonator Mid Pipe Differences

May have to replace the mid pipe resonator assy on an '04 ES that's been hacked up a bit from a few prior repairs. There appears to be 2 different types listed for 02-07 models? The one currently under the car looks like this with the small square resonator muffler - 70" length:

However, Bosal makes one with a smaller round resonator but is slightly longer when looking up the specs - 72" total length

Can anyone confirm if there are any specific exhaust differences between 02-07 Lancers?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 08:55 AM

Anyone care to take a peak underneath their '04-07 Lancer to confirm the above?

After pages of searching I found a post stating that the '04+ models have a slightly longer exhaust??
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my oz had round one...... heck i still have it hanging up in my garage all these years..
the stock one should be oval one, the other is aftermarket ... if ur unsure take the car to exhaust shop.... are u throwing any codes ? any exhaust leaks ?

i went custom catback for my car.......

Last edited by OZR_Lancer; Mar 17, 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 08:04 AM

Thanks, assuming you're referring to your '03 OZ Rally model your car was 'originally' fitted with the round style resonator pipe as shown in 2nd photo?

The '04 I have currently has the 1st one shown but it appears to have had some repairs to it and has a leak. It looks like they had replaced a section of pipe which was cut out and small section clamped in. I figured I'd replace that whole section with stock replacement considering how cheap it is.

Car does have a code - P0421 which is the cat efficiency code that was a recall and it's actually open recall for this car it was never performed.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

mine had oval type
Old Mar 5, 2016, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

that code is your header lol p0421.. my car threw same code and i had to replace mine....

now the cat conv is built into the header, one piece.... i dont know you ur states smog laws but mine had to be 50state legal cause of cal law and cost me $500.

its a brand new magnaflow part seen here: left is magnaflow stainless steel and right is oem cast. might also replace the o2 sensor that is on the header at same time like i did

Old Mar 8, 2016, 07:58 AM

Ok, it seems to me that the round style resonator assy is more suited towards the 2.4 Ralliart models. I had a look through the factory service manual files I downloaded off this site for the 2006MY and the oval (or square) resonator assy is depicted in the diagrams for the 2.0L models while the round style is shown for the 2.4L models. Makes sense now as the 2 engines have different manifold/downpipe assemblies and I'd imagine secondary cat converter differences as well.

As far as the CEL is concerned, I'm going to first take the car into Mitsu to run the software update to see if it clears. If that doesn't work, then I may go with an ebay header/downpipe and mate it to the stock secondary cat w/ an extended 02 (least expensive route).

That Magnaflow manifold/cat looks nice and of very high quality but that's quite steep in price. There are alternate aftermarket manifolds in the sub $300 range.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

sub 300, i saw those too but my case it wouldnt of work cause of my states laws... if i was in anyother state besides california or newyork, i would of bought the 300$ fed converter
Old Mar 16, 2016, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by richiep82
Anyone care to take a peak underneath their '04-07 Lancer to confirm the above?

After pages of searching I found a post stating that the '04+ models have a slightly longer exhaust??
My 04 ES has the square one. It is also 70" long.
The following users liked this post:
richiep82 (Mar 18, 2016)