Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Rock chip repair?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rock chip repair?

I have had my lancer close to 3 years now. I drive it on the freeway almost everyday/ Now I am wondering what i need to do to repair the damage that I have gotten from my rocks hitting my car. First off the windshield has a chip in it. It is the one that is the shape of an asterisk. Secondly my poor hood has massive damage. Chunks of paint it seems from the first month I have had are just massive. At least over a dozen chips on my hood and more on my bumper. What is the best way going about to fixing these problems?
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

If they are not too bad just get some touch up paint, but if it's jacked you might have to get the whole thing repainted, but if you are ballin you can get it fixed how you want and get some of that 3M clear bra stuff that is expensive as all get out for some folks! Good luck!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Do not use the touch up paint. I bought one from the dealer and it sux. It actually looks worst. Unless you really know how to use it go ahead but I think touch up paint sux.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ i also got the touch up pen type from the dealer... the pen contains so little paint that it was all empty after fixing only like 3 tiny scratches... and the pen point is too big, u dont be able to fix rock chips... i tried... u gotta get the old school glass bottle type touch up and use a toothpick. hold a little cloth with some thinner on it just so u can wipe the paint off right away when u mess up and do all over
Old May 2, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

I had a lot of chipping on my front bumper and hood. I show my car so touch up paint wasn't gonna cut it. I went to the body shop and had them repsray the entire front (hood, fenders, bumper) of the car. I don't know if you want to go that route but I needed perfection. And the only way you can get it looking good is to get it repainted at the body shop. You can't get touch up pain to look good, especially with dings and chips because they may need to be sanded. It shouldn't cost you too much to get everything redone, depends where you go and who you know! Good luck.
Old May 2, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Get the chip fixed in your windshield ASAP or it will lead to a big crack down the road. It only costs around $50ish to fix the windshield. Better to spend $50 now , than to spend hundreds on a new windshield....
Old May 2, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

i was gonna take to one of those rock chip repairs i see at the mall and big retailers.
Old May 2, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Use touch up paint with mother's touch up paint smoothing stuff (forget what its called) and then a light wet sand. It works really well, just take your time.
Old May 2, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PGDlancer
Use touch up paint with mother's touch up paint smoothing stuff (forget what its called) and then a light wet sand. It works really well, just take your time.
Do they make that stuff for rims. I got some minor rock chip damage on them too . It is just gunmetal and little spots. Since its a dark color I would think anyone could really notice.