Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

customizing lancers

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2002, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
customizing lancers

Hey guys,
Im new to this forum. Just a quick question, and many more to come. I don't have a lancer yet, but i'm looking into one seriously. If i get one i want a good and fast one, but i like to do things myself. SO... if i get a lancer should i get one that is completely 'done up' or should i buy a normal lancer and put tons of junk and a crapload of money into it? which'd be cheaper, considering i'd just buy the gear and put it in myself?

thanks
j33nYu$
Old May 14, 2002, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

well if you like to do things on your own then get one and build it up on your own insted of one thats "done up" already
Old May 14, 2002, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Re: customizing lancers

Originally posted by j33nYu$
Hey guys,
Im new to this forum. Just a quick question, and many more to come. I don't have a lancer yet, but i'm looking into one seriously. If i get one i want a good and fast one, but i like to do things myself. SO... if i get a lancer should i get one that is completely 'done up' or should i buy a normal lancer and put tons of junk and a crapload of money into it? which'd be cheaper, considering i'd just buy the gear and put it in myself?

thanks
j33nYu$
There is no such thing as a done Lancer. Unless you want to wait for a Lancer Evolution. The best thing to do would be get a Lancer ES get the RPW Turbo kit which seems to fit(since you're a do-it-yourself er) and then take your choice of the 2 body kits available and buy a decent set of wheels. Then take your pick of the 2 available suspensions and you're pretty much done.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:11 AM

so here are more questions, as promised. How much would you estimate this costing? What are the benefits of waiting for the Evo over upgrading a normal lancer, and vice versa?

thanks, and trust me, there will be more questions

j33

Last edited by j33nYu$; May 14, 2002 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:18 AM

i think u should start with a new Lancer with not done 2 it. and i dont think there would be any lancers with parts on it 4 sale.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:36 AM

Well it depends. if u have at least 32k and is willing 2 wait a while i would get the Evo 7 when it comes out. But on the other hand if u have the same amount of money or less and want a car now get the 2002 lancer and do all the work your self. the only things that the Evo has that the 2002 lancer cant really have without alot of money and work is the AWD(all wheel drive) and the huge brembos(brakes). o ya u would also need alot of money(at least 40k to make a couple of upgrades) to buy and also to hook up the Evo.

go for what ever u think is right.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:43 AM

how hard is it to put a turbo on a lancer (ES AT)? and at the website, when you build a lancer, there are OZ AT, ES etc. Are there any real differences, other than cosmetic? One more (for now), if i buy a lancer how much more power can i get with $5,000 dollors?

Last edited by j33nYu$; May 15, 2002 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 03:39 AM

the only differences between the es and oz besides cosmetic is that the oz has a rear antisway bar which will help a lot if you do hard cornering.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 04:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by smo0thride
the only differences between the es and oz besides cosmetic is that the oz has a rear antisway bar which will help a lot if you do hard cornering.
I don't think it really helps much to be perfectly honest but I've never driven an ES or LS. The only differences are costmetic and that some mods (Eibach Pro kit for example) may not fit the same. ES is the best buy for the money imho, but if you are concerned about looks (and admitted concern of mine) and have a little extra loot to spend then I've gotta favor the OZ. Preference and money are the two main factors as I see it.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Personally I wouldn't pour an *** load of money into a Lancer...I mean..if/when/possibly I have the cash for something like a turbo or a custom suercharger setup, I'd do it but being my first car (well, like 1.5th), I doubt I'm gonna put to much into it. The simplest bolt ons, but hopefully in a few years, grab a faster (not that difficult to find ) car and start from a more solid foundation for tuning. That's my rant.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

The lancer is a great econobox. Incredible gas mileage, looks good, and a 4 door grocery getter. Personally, I would get just simple bolt on stuff, save the turbo and body kit for another car thats much faster. I may have alot of stuff done to my car but most of it is stuff that I can take with me to my next car(BMW m3 or a vette, but I will just use the lancer for now )

Do stuff like exhaust, headers, intake, strut bars, etc....Stuff that cheap and easy to do it yourself.

If you have all this extra money to spend after you buy a lancer.....why not get a better car in general. It seems you have around 23,000 to play with. You can get damn nice BMW's, benz's, etc for that money. And if you want a fast tuner the bmw m3 is a damn fast car...my friend has one and it runs 14.6 stock...which isnt bad. Toss a supercharger on and you're below 14. Plus its a luxury car. Look at your options before you buy anything.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Buy a wrx it's faster and outhandles most every car in the US.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

IMHO

If you really like the Lancer, go buy it whatever... but if you really are thinking of hooking it up, especially with bolts-ons, you have to consider if spending about $800 for a gain of 8HP (intake, downpipe, exhaust) <forgot the link to this to back the numbers up, o wellz> is worth it to you, I'd say it's a waste.

COmpare that to for example, a WRX (what b mentioned), just a downpipe on that thing alone will run you only about $200-300 and you'll see gains of at the least 12+HP due to its turbo setup.

just my .02