Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Towing w/ a OZ Rally

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing w/ a OZ Rally

I just purchased a waverunner from Sea Doo and was wondering if the OZ would be able to tow it? Now I know that I will get ridiculed(sp) for doing this but Im done working on my car and just went for the toys. Please give me your opinions. Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

probably, they are only a few hundred pounds.. just dont go driving through the mountains a lot and dont expect to drive like you normally do since you will be lacking a good bit of power
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm sure you could do it...Honestly though if you have another car that isn't a Civic it's probably preferrable.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 09:30 AM

I think it is a no go, looked it up on a few sites and they make hitches to go on the other lancers, but not the OZ.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

By other Lancers, do you mean the US Mirage, or the LS/ES? The only reason an LS/ES hitch might not fit is because it wouldn't clear the OZ kit on the rear bumper.

As for weight allowances, the car can manage. A runner like that (unless it's a three-person model) doesn't have a lot of weight to it. Just drive carefully and avoid sudden starts and stops, and towing won't be a bid deal.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:15 AM

Yeah its a Sea Doo XP the sport 2 seater. I didnt think it would be a problem but just wanted to get your guy's input on it. Thanks a a lot for your input and being very professional about it.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

hitchweb.com carries a hitch for the Lancer, 1 1/4 inch receiver that is removable. It fits the OZ because I have one on mine. It squeezes the rear valance a little, but it is hardly noticable. I use it to tow a utility trailer with track tires and a toolbox. The whole setup weighs maybe 400-430 pounds and doesn't effect the car too much except on long grades and stopping. You can feel the trailer push the car, but it is rated to tow up to 1000lbs. in the owners manual. I know most trailer/jetski setups weigh a little more, but I think you will be safe as long as you don't plan on a crosscountry trip. Hope this helps.

Jason
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, almost forgot about that. Make sure your brakes are in good shape before you go towing stuff like that. It may put a lot of stress on them adding the extra few hundred lbs.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:17 PM

LS/ES have hitches available, just the OZ with the body will allow almost no clearance for a hitch. I think once you get to a certain weight, you have to get other parts ...I think they are weight distributors...can not remember the exact name.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

You have remove the lower fascia to install the hitch. The fascia goes back and the hitch rests on the back 1/4 of the lip once you re-install. I hope this link works.

http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip....de=34258&OID=8

If I can get a digital camera, I will post some pics.

Jason