Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Lancer finally gets an all wheel drive option for North America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu Canada corporate recently let us know that the 2.4L is expected to be the motor in the AWD lancer. It will be offered in SE trim, using the same AWD system as the RVR or Outlander ES, NOT the same system as the Ralliart. Drive modes will be 2wd/4wd/lock. Will have the spoiler as standard. No changes are expected with the brakes or any other components. Priceline is expected to be competitive with the base Impreza (msrp ~$23,500)

For clarity, Mitsu uses 4 discrete AWD systems:

AWC (level 1) 2wd/4wd/4wd lock selectable in the RVR, Outlander ES+LS, now Lancer SE AWD
AWC (level 2) using ACD in the Ralliart
S-AWC (level 1) using AFD (front left to right torque vectoring) in the Outlander XLS
S-AWC (level 2) using ACD and AYC (rear left to right torque vectoring) in the Evo

Other changes:
All models using the USB system will not have the AUX input.
Lancer SE models now get the chrome trim for the bottom grille.
Lancer GT gets the Ralliart front bumper
RVR will be offered with a premium pkg, leather+navi and power driver's seat
Outlander LS and XLS get Gentex mirrors with integrated backup cameras.
Minor changes to the interior trim on all Lancer models (new soft door inserts, new trim pieces replace the silver trim)

Last edited by SudzRA; Sep 7, 2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
September 2011 issue of Motor Trend, "New Car Buyers Guide", p. 101:

"Mitsubishi Lancer/Evo/Sportback - What's new?:
The ES gets new fabric, wheel covers, and chrome grille, while the SE is now an AWD model. The GTS has been renamed GT, and gets Ralliart-style front fascia, new 18" wheels, new fabric, and soft touch door trim. the GSR gets a new upshift light indicator on the center display, while the MR gets an ECO light indicator.

Driver's choice: the Evo, but dont discount the Ralliart.

Sum up: Mitsubushi's brightest start!"

(thats not to say "ra-style" bumper means actual RA bumper...theres no pic...just an RA pic in the article w/ RA badge in the grille)
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Defcon5Es
it's an option people. Mitsubishi won't incorporate their AWD as standard. so chill out.
Still there is a valid point to weather to make AWD standard or not.
Here is the problem, there is a global inconsistancy with Mitsubishi. Each region is given a little too much latitude in my opinion to customize their vehicles. When they do that, the wrong people, make changes that dont make much sense. And the ignore issues that are problems in specific world wide regions. A huge example would be addressing the very poor OE tires selected for the Mitsubishi lancer. What I find very funny, is that in Japan they have the Lancer AWD standard since 2008, and the tires they use are not the Dunlop SP5000M. 4 years later, this tire is still used for the 18" Lancer, and the Ralliart (in Canada). A country that snows 6 months of the year and probably could use an improvement of both. To be dead honest, if it raised the cost of the car by 1000 dollars, I would pay 1000 dollars to have those better options.

In my opinion, the AWD option should have been an option 4 years ago. It would have raised the bar and raised the image of Mitsubishi if they had it standard. This is why Subaru continues to spank Mitsubishi on this front. Because AWD is seen by the public / media as a safer car.

Not making a 5 speed is a missed opportunity, because it makes the lancer more inviting to those who do not like CVT transmissions or just want something simple / no frills. Another reason for this is, that it would have reduced the cost of the car by 500 to 1000 dollars. Boosting sales on that pure economic reason.

my two cents
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:44 PM

winning
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:05 PM

I just heard this two days ago from my stealership here in Omaha, Nebraska. I moved from Florida and one of the first things I noticed is how many Subaru Imprezas are out here. Then I heard the "snow" stories and I figured why Subaru would have such a loyal following in this market. I decided its been a while, maybe I should trade my 04 RA for a newer one..well this being Omaha, there are none. A new one just came to the stealership (only one mitsubishi dealership here mind you) and it is priced at 29,000 MSRP!! I was like "WTF!!" ....and yes I must admit for 7 k less I can get a used 2011 Impreza WRX with low miles, turbo and AWD......but alas I will not trade my mitsu fan boy love on a whim..so here I am waiting for my mythical 2012 Lancer GT AWD.....
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

awd

Imo the normal lancers wouldn't get the turbo in another 20 years, that would be defeating the purpose of why they produce the ralliart. The tires on the ra is still the same from its first gen 09ralliart. Asking for brembo brakes in the ralliart is a little too much but I would want better tires on the ra and less turbo lag. The turbo lag keeps making me think to change to a subbie or v8
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bacquerel
Imo the normal lancers wouldn't get the turbo in another 20 years, that would be defeating the purpose of why they produce the ralliart. The tires on the ra is still the same from its 2nd gen 09ralliart. Asking for brembo brakes in the ralliart is a little too much but I would want better tires on the ra and less turbo lag. The turbo lag keeps making me think to change to a subbie or v8
fixed
1st gens were from 04-06
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah don't forget us...fwd, non-turbo ralliarts...

I have 2000 impreza 2.5 that i'm rebuilding for a winter beater lol...AWD standard was a good move for subaru in my opinion...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 23, 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Oh sorry I forgot to do some research on the ra history, never liked history when I was in school either. My bad. But yeah finally mitsu comes to a stand against subbie for how many decades now? XD
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bacquerel
Oh sorry I forgot to do some research on the ra history, never liked history when I was in school either. My bad. But yeah finally mitsu comes to a stand against subbie for how many decades now? XD
Um, pretty sure that has put up an AWD car against Subaru's offerings for quite a few years now.

The only thing they're even remotely "coming to a stand against Subaru" on is that they now have an AWD competitor for Subaru's cheapest, crappiest car.