Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound System

ok, i have been shopping around and looking for stuff for my sound system. I have 2 Sony XS-L121P5 12" 1200 Watts Subwoofers and a Sub-Zero box, I need to know what kind of amp would be good for that at a reasonable price and also, is the stock headunit capable of connecting to an amp, if not, what kind of head unit should i get at a reasonable price?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

For those subs your going to need a pretty powerful amp to make them sound good I would look into Rockford fosgate 1500 watt power series amp It has a lot of output generally quite a bit more than its rated at. As far as the head unit goes its posible but not recomended... You can splice wires to make it work however ITs much better if you can get a deck with a third output for the subs it makes for much better sound quality and control of the way your system plays music Premier 750 deck is a pretty good once for something not too expensive. Also don't forget about the rest of the speakers. Systems sound like crap when people put freakin tons of power to subs then run stock speakers and no amps. Turns into a boom mobile instead of a killer sound system.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 05:47 AM

thanks for the response, but i havnt found any places that carry any Rockford fosgate for under $1000.00, how expensive is this amp going to be, links would be usefull.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:59 PM

I found a 1500W, will that do?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Whats the RMS. I remember the day when Pyrmid made 1000 Watt amps but the RMS rating was like 50. YOu want your RMS rating to be what your system will run at most of the time. "1500W" is just what it max's out at when it peeks and you dont want to be running at max all the time. If you want a good amp at a reasonable price check out the AudioPipe line. I have one of their 350W 250RMS amps and Iam very happy with it.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Fosgate amps are rated at RMS actually most amps now days are (the good brands anyway) I found a refubished fosgate 1500bd amp for about 700 bucks the measured output of the amp was 1567 (significantly higher than its rated) It powered my subs which at the time were set up for 1200 watts. Did a good job for a ton of bass but my infinity speakers with only deck power weren't enough to keep up. Lesson learned for me. Now I'm all about sound quality not about making stuff loud.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

i have my subs hooked up to the stock unit. i love i dont have to worry about the stuff getting stolen as much. YOu can get a rca cross over or something like that at bestbuy and then hook the 2 gray wires to your right speaker wires and the 2 white to the left wires and then plug in your amp outouts and you got a stock system with some BASS
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

theft deturant wise thats a good way to go but the stock deck will never put out as clean of a signal as an aftermarket one. also with only 2 preouts you don't have a separate control for your subs which makes your system way less tuneable and to top it all off your taking what VERY little power your other speakers have by deviding the preout into two which just makes the subs over power the speakers by that much more... yea you can still make it loud with a good amp but its going to be just that... loud.. if thats what your goal is then awesome you did well but as stated I'm more about quality sound than loud.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

yeah true. im happy with mine. i just want to be able to hear it while on the freeway with the windows down. And that i have accomplished so im happy/ IM running a 1500 watt xplod amp to the system and the subs. I also have a switch in my center consle that i made to turn the amp on and of since i get sick of bass sometime. I love the switch and so many people think it is nitrous haha.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:57 AM

My subs are max 1200W, and their RMS is around 400. Will a 1200W amp do fine? I want it to sound good, not loud to the extent of sounding bad and annoying.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 01:22 PM

I just want my subs to sound good for the least money as possible, but not too cheap to where the amp isnt dependable, legacy, blitz, pyle, give me some names that are dependable but low priced, any good links to sites would be nice.