Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

HUGE PROBLEM w/ GROUND WIRE KIT!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HUGE PROBLEM w/ GROUND WIRE KIT!

Ok... Ive had a Ground Wire Kit for a while, and It was great...

It went like so:

Replaced the Ground wire on the Neg. Terminal that goes to the Body/Frame
(Driver Side).

Alternator directly to Neg. Terminal

Neg. to Tranny

Tranny to Head

Head to Throttle Body/Intake Manifold

As of the day before yesterday, like Ive seen done here on EvoM, I added another Ground Wire from the Throttle Body/I.M. to the Firewall, and another from the Firewall to the Passenger Side Body/Frame.

Well... Since then, Every time I drive and come to a light, or basically when I slow down to 1000 Rev.s the car stalls out and the Battery light comes on!
Every time I slow down or stop!!! (and theres a funny acidic smell too)
I took the battery to the shop, thinkin' perhaps this depleated it, but the shop said it holds a charge and is fine, so I dont need to recharge it.

...Huff! This sucks.

So I took 'em off, and it still happened untill I reset the Computer buy taking off the Negative.
Cool! Its all good now, and works well.

So I saw that Sigma Auto has 2 Grounding Straps for Grounding the Exhaust...
Theres a supposed increased Torque response (I doubt it, but we'll see).
It also apperently reduces Static Electricity in Exhaust, as well as reduces vibration noise from Exhaust (This's what sold me).

One is connected from the Exhaust where the Muffler bolts on the Midpipe to the Chassis. The other is connected from the Exhaust where the midpipe bolts on the Catalytic Converter to the Chassis.

I put 'em both on, and the car ran fine... Oh! I forgot to reset the Computer to tell it about the new mod... ...Ok, did it.

DAMNIT! Now It started the same **** again... So I just now took 'em off.
So now my cars out in the driveway with the Negative disconnected again, and Im hopin' it fixes itself.

Why am I having this problem, is it a Double Ground thing?

Lookie Here:

(Also I didnt know until I read this picture that, theres a stock ground from the Firewall to the to the Manifold... I hadnt removed that one.)

Someone please help me, cus teh Mitsu Dealer Parts/Servis Dept. wants to charge me 53 bucks just to look at it, and Id have to remove the whole ground kit that I have in (the original ones that worked fine), and then depeneding whats wrong their gonna charge me out the @ss to fix it.
The service technitian said theres something not telling the computer that the battery is charging or that the alternators working.

Please

Last edited by CityKnight; Feb 18, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have no clue what is going on, but I have the ralliart ground wires on mine and I have never had this issue. I followed the directions to the tee and no problems. I have had them on for about a year. Maybe, it's the kit.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do people always thing more is better? Most of those grounding kits are a total joke.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Maybe your shorting the system out. If you replaced the stock system, that may be the problem as well. As far as that exhaust thing goes.....I highly doubt that 2 pieces of wire are going to increase torque, especially since iits not interacting with anything mechanical, its just connected to a pipe with gas in it.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, it sounds stupid.
If Sun did it tho, then its worth a try I guess...

Heres the thing tho, how could I be shortening something out?
Dont other people here have the same things grounded, w/o problem?
Everything was fine, until I connected back to the cars Frame (the Firewall and the Pass. Side)...

(I guess the Exhaust would be the same thing, cus its on the Frame too)
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

You might have wires crossing or something like that. I have a ground kit as well with no problems whatsoever. I know it might come as a shock, but companies will make anything they think people will buy.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

True dat, but Im not an idiotic consumer, Ive actually seen this done on WRC Rally cars... Thats why.

How did you do your ground setup?
The following users liked this post:
2006EvoIXer (Jan 30, 2018)
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

I installed my grounding kit by following the instructions. As for the other matter........I'm just gonna walk away from that whole issue.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

woa . . . i couldnt even follow what you grounded. That acrid smell youre smelling is a short in the system. Its the reason your battery light is coming on and your car is stalling out. Somewhere in that system youve got a bad cable, or have attached something you shouldnt have. What did you connect to on the alternator ? I posted a How To on grounding kits take a look at it b/c i KNOW that ive had no problems and as far as a digital volt meter was concerned i found a .1 - .2 volt increase as well as less voltage fluctuation. Not a huge gain but keeps the lights from dimming and my car idles at a beautiful 650 rpm with no problems As for the grounding straps for the exhaust, yes youve seen them on WRC cars . . its b/c those cars run HIGH octane fuel with NO cats . .. one static spark and BOOM . . id put straps on too . Your car however probably pretty safe even without them.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

i suggest you take the kit off... then see what happens.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

wow thats really weird, the only thing i could think was that maybe you connected it to some positive connection, and as far as grounding the exhaust i dont think there is any electronics in the exhaust
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Walkingchaos
woa . . . i couldnt even follow what you grounded. That acrid smell youre smelling is a short in the system. Its the reason your battery light is coming on and your car is stalling out. Somewhere in that system youve got a bad cable, or have attached something you shouldnt have. What did you connect to on the alternator ? I posted a How To on grounding kits take a look at it b/c i KNOW that ive had no problems and as far as a digital volt meter was concerned i found a .1 - .2 volt increase as well as less voltage fluctuation. Not a huge gain but keeps the lights from dimming and my car idles at a beautiful 650 rpm with no problems As for the grounding straps for the exhaust, yes youve seen them on WRC cars . . its b/c those cars run HIGH octane fuel with NO cats . .. one static spark and BOOM . . id put straps on too . Your car however probably pretty safe even without them.
its simple, it just daisy chains...

Neg. to Tranny
Tranny to Head
Head to Throttle Body

The Alternator goes soley to the Neg. Terminal.

As the picture illustrates to go to the Firewall, and from the Firewall to Pass. Side; Thats when It started givin' me problems... So I assumed it was a double ground thing, cus the battery is already grounded to the body primarily.

I did see your How-To.
The illustration above, was taken from a similar thread which you also posted in.
I think it was the one where JChangsta asked about what grounding is for...

It was all fine until I Grounded to the Firewall and then from there to the Pass. Side Frame, as it illustrates... and then ZONK... It all went to hell.

Last edited by CityKnight; Feb 19, 2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Disconnect the wire grounding the alternator.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

ya the reason i asked about the alternator is b/c its the only thing that could generate enough power to double the system out and make that short youre talking about. Although as far as grounding to the fire wall . . . i have no clue Goodluck tracking it down.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Very hard to believe the ground wires have anything to do with it. Maybe something got disconnected or you didn't torque down an OEM grounding pt.

Quick Reply: HUGE PROBLEM w/ GROUND WIRE KIT!