Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Change Mesh

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change Mesh

I'm new to modding and I wanted to black out the chrome on the font bumper as well as the middle piece between the upper and lower mesh and change the mesh to some sort of gunmetal finished mesh.
I found a how to on removing the Front bumper but i need more info on what can be used to make the chrome and middle bumper piece black as well as changing the mesh?

Is this something i should even be doing myself?

Thanks,
Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Most people on here who have done that have done it themselves.. just tape off the areas where you wanna paint, sand it down, and then spray away. i have yet to do this, hopefully this week ill be able to, and if i can ill take pics and a how to as well
Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

The middle bumper section will need to be taped off. As for the chrome, I just did mine yesterday.
1. Pop the hood, and remove the big plastic piece that goes over the hood latch.
2. You should be able to look down behind the grill piece and see a series of philips screws holding it in place.
3. Use a short philips screwdriver to remove (5 of them I think) screws, and the whole section will come out of the front (chromes shroud, with mesh insert)
4. Then you remove the remaining screws to separate the mesh from the shroud.
5. You can sand and paint the chrome, but I used a fusion paint made for plastics, glass, metal, etc. followed by a series a no gloss clear coat.
6. Crack open a beer or two and wait for it to dry- reassemble.

Old Sep 3, 2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the responses.
I am off work for a week next week so i'll definitly do the chrome trim and i may tackle the bumper too.

Anyone else who has some more insight/suggestions to give about what paint to use how to apply and any other tips would be great.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 01:30 PM

ok i did mine and one thing you HAVE to know is DO NOT PAINT OVER THE CHROME. I dont care what anyone says it will peel off. WHat you do is take a VERY sharp knife and peel the chrome layer off, under it is just black plastic then you paint.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

rough sanding and using a metal primer first on that 'chrome' might work... then use a fine sanding to smooth it out and prime again, then paint. Clear it to finish with a super fine wet sand if you want to match finish.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

so all I have to do its just to sand and paint ??