Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Solution to bypassing the DRL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thankfully it's not smart enough to figure out that the headlights aren't connected, and bug you with a light on your dash
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
let us know how this works out
Old Oct 9, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Ok guys,
Just got done with the byspass; works great!!! It took me about 20 minutes to complete it, along with to 30A relays and appropriate connectors. Basically, I tapped the blue (+) parking light wire for my relay switch, grounded the relay, and cut the red/white (+) low beam wire and ran that through the relay. Now, my lights don't turn on when I start the car, and only go on when I turn it to parking lights (still DRL mode) or completely on (full low beams) this is a great alternative if you don't like your DRL's, but can still use them if needed. This method won't work for HID's unless you use straight power from the battery (which I think most of them do) and then you can still use switching power for your relay from the parking lights. I guess I can take pictures if you guys want, but it's just a bunch of wires and relays. Let me know if you have any questions, and I think we finally found a rock solid solution! Cheers!!!

-Brad
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:52 PM

Nice to know this method works solid

This probably wouldn't be possible if the ECU was programmed to give a burnt light bulb warning when you have the Low beam harness unplugged. Cheers to the programmers for not implementing it

btw, isn't it weird that there is a plug included in the headlight where you can plug the low beam harness if you choose to disconnect it? it's like they knew people will probably disconnect it later on.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by psxnitro
Nice to know this method works solid

This probably wouldn't be possible if the ECU was programmed to give a burnt light bulb warning when you have the Low beam harness unplugged. Cheers to the programmers for not implementing it

btw, isn't it weird that there is a plug included in the headlight where you can plug the low beam harness if you choose to disconnect it? it's like they knew people will probably disconnect it later on.
Not sure I saw one of those
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:58 PM

really? I have a GTS model, and there is this black OEM plug anchored in the headlight assembly, right in between the low and high beam sockets in the back.

I guess I can take a pic of it when I get home.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I have one of those too.

Wires going into it, but they're all blocked off on the other end.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone know why my DRLs wont shut off even with the parking brake applied? I have a Canadian model, is there something different about my wiring? Or could there just be no switch in the handbrake assembly?

Just thought about it, is there a difference between having a manual and a cvt auto, regarding this issue? I have a manual tranny.

Last edited by SmoothdrJay; Oct 10, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SmoothdrJay
Anyone know why my DRLs wont shut off even with the parking brake applied? I have a Canadian model, is there something different about my wiring? Or could there just be no switch in the handbrake assembly?

Just thought about it, is there a difference between having a manual and a cvt auto, regarding this issue? I have a manual tranny.
I have a CAN model and M/T as well. My DRL's do not turn on until I release my E-Brake. If I do re-engage my brake though, the lights do not turn off. They only stay off when I first start the car and the E-Brake is on.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

What are the chances of getting a ticket if you completly disable the DRL's? I know a shop that can do it for me but I heard it is illegal to disable the DRL's if the car came with them
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hydrolikz
What are the chances of getting a ticket if you completly disable the DRL's? I know a shop that can do it for me but I heard it is illegal to disable the DRL's if the car came with them
hydro, just get them done and dont worry about the cops ... lol
just turn on your lights when it starts to get dark ... no problem with the cops ... even got pulled over twice and both times my lights were off ... nothing happened
you would have seen mine if you came out thur.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wazzuuuup
hydro, just get them done and dont worry about the cops ... lol
just turn on your lights when it starts to get dark ... no problem with the cops ... even got pulled over twice and both times my lights were off ... nothing happened
you would have seen mine if you came out thur.
Nuff said i'm going to get it from SLS I couldn't come on Thursday PM me when your reaching the Thursday meets and i'll come. Check for the one I PM'd you about i'll be there for sure
Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:01 PM

Wooo Hooooo

it actually works, I finally have HID's again

it's pretty simple with the harness. all you had to do is cut the part that is supposed to connect to your factory harness, and splice it to the corner lights

and now I have HID's and no DRL's

But I think I will buy some small yellow LED strips and connect it to the factory low beam harness and mount it in the grill somewhere, so it will look like I have some type of DRL.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
take some pics please so we can see!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 06:04 PM

Well this is the picture of the driver side assembly, I tried to label where the installer spliced into the parking lights. hope it's clear enough.
Attached Thumbnails Solution to bypassing the DRL-driver-headlight.jpg  

Quick Reply: Solution to bypassing the DRL