Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Solution to bypassing the DRL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Solution to bypassing the DRL

Ok, I just ordered a kit from http://www.MobileHID.com that comes with a wiring harness. I think this might be our best bet in actually running hid's with minimal problems.

The kit is powered straight from the battery, and the relay switch needs little power to actually turn on. Plus the kit seems very reliable, saw the water and hammer demo they have.

Basically what I'm going to do is, I'm going to be splicing into the corner lights wiring and connect the relay switch there, so that the corner light switch will also be my headlight switch. This will leave both low beam factory connectors open and not used (bye bye DRL).

I have actually ran my GTS with the factory low beam connectors unplugged and got no warning or sound from my car, telling me I have a burnt bulb (I thank god for that). So leaving the factory harness alone is fine.

But, I plan to actually use my factory harness to power another set of foglights I'm going to be mounting behind the front grill, which means I can choose to have drl's whenever I want, by just flicking a separate switch. So this might be a win win situation.

Anyway, I just wanted you to share this info, and hopefully I will have pictures in about 2 weeks, if I can do this right.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

So basically, you are going to use the corner parking lights to relay your headlights on? I think that is a good idea, and could actually still work with regular lights (non-HID). As long as the relay closes when it gets power from the parking lights, it should work.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 03:18 PM

The current that's going to the relay from the corner lights, is just to put the relay switch in the on position. The current used by the HID's is actually straight from the battery. So there should be no risk of overheating my factory harness.

http://www.mobilehid.com/wiring.jpg
Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
tell us how it works out when you get it, Rob this may help you guys out at RRM///
Old Oct 6, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

You... you're not going to have parking lights only, are you?

I mean, if the relay is getting its switching power from the corner lights, well they come on at parking lamp setting.

So it is a solution, and probably the most viable solution thus far! But I don't see parking lamp solution...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 03:56 AM

I don't really understand what you mean. I'm just tapping into the low current being fed into the corner lights to get a signal for the relay switch to turn on the hid system.

The way I'm going to have it, is that every time I turn on my corner lights, my hid will also come on. I see very little downside to this method.

Last edited by psxnitro; Oct 7, 2007 at 04:22 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, the low beams will have a relay (for each light) and will receive switching power from the parking lights. So, you could cut the main positive wire for the light, route it through the relay, and they would only turn on when the parking lights have power. I think I am going to try this today. It should only require a couple of relays, and some good connectors.... I don't think it should take that long.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by psxnitro
I don't really understand what you mean. I'm just tapping into the low current being fed into the corner lights to get a signal for the relay switch to turn on the hid system.

The way I'm going to have it, is that every time I turn on my corner lights, my hid will also come on. I see very little downside to this method.
Right, and like I said this is still the most viable conclusion to this issue.

But generally when you turn the stalk to parking lamps, you only get the parking lamps - no headlights. With your relay mod, you'll get headlights at parking lamp location. So you can't just have your parking lamps on; that's what I'm getting at.

Not the biggest of deals, but some people like being able to just turn on perimeter lighting in certain circumstances such as waiting for someone at night, you want visibility but not your headlights glaring all over the place so you just turn on parking lamps.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Not the biggest of deals, but some people like being able to just turn on perimeter lighting in certain circumstances such as waiting for someone at night, you want visibility but not your headlights glaring all over the place so you just turn on parking lamps.
Considering that we don't have this ability in stock form, it's not that big a loss, I'd think...
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:56 PM

The only time you can turn the parking lights only, is if you shut the engine off, turn it back on with the parking brake on, or with the engine fully off.

I can understand this might be an issue, but it's a small price to pay. besides, you can always install a undercar kit and use it as a parking light, which I think will look real nice, and completely legal unless you start driving with them on.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have seen a few pictures of the Evo X and it looks like it has HID's. I am in now way an expert on cars but if they will have them shouldn't we be able to just swap out the stock ones with those? Or would the DRL problem still be there?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 03:19 PM

The ECU probably needs to be reprogrammed or probably replaced.

Although it's rather weird that the headlight assembly has a socket where you can plug the low beam plug when you have it disconnected it from the bulb, and that there is no warning signal telling you your headlights aren't working when you have it unplugged.

kinda seems like this car was rigged to have HID's.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 04:04 PM

Anybody notice that when you first get in the car and crank it, that the drl's don't cut on until you put the parking brake down. Maybe this could be a quick fix?
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:18 PM

I think everyone that has been trying to get rid of the drl knows that. which is why everyone is looking for a solution.

I'm so freakin excited about this, I hope the kit comes by next friday.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turdbo
Anybody notice that when you first get in the car and crank it, that the drl's don't cut on until you put the parking brake down. Maybe this could be a quick fix?
Nope. Even if you drive with the e-brake on, the DRLs will come on.

Unfortunately, the computer is quite smart and integrated on this car.

Quick Reply: Solution to bypassing the DRL