Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Vinyl in chrome grill?

Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl in chrome grill?

Hi i have a question, i just got my lancer gts, and wanted to do the "evo look" in the front.

For the front bumper i plan to cover it with black vinyl, and for the chrome i already painted it with a flat black spray, however in the first wash of my car, the paint of the chrome grill started to fall.

So for the people out there, did you put vinyl in the chrome, or what paint did you use it, so the paint doesn't start to fall when you wash it?

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by anwyn
Hi i have a question, i just got my lancer gts, and wanted to do the "evo look" in the front.

For the front bumper i plan to cover it with black vinyl, and for the chrome i already painted it with a flat black spray, however in the first wash of my car, the paint of the chrome grill started to fall.

So for the people out there, did you put vinyl in the chrome, or what paint did you use it, so the paint doesn't start to fall when you wash it?

Thanks
iunno what kinda prep work u did but i used a light sand paper first to scuff the surface i believe i used 300 grit. then i used a plastic primer to insure it would fall off. then i used then paint. but prep work is key. i also used a clear to finish it. i have had it on for a couple months now no problems so far, knock on wood.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks
Yep, I had the same problem... then I re-did it and put so many layers onto it until the whole can was empty. So far so good.... if it happens again I will do it again but with some plastic primer. If this doesn't help then I will get the damn black grill for 100euros
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
rav

I used black vinyl for the chrome grill (same one i used for bumper). It's pretty easy too! stretch stretch stretch!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Just another suggestion if you're interested in spending some money, RRM is coming out with a CF cap and they said that if demand was high enough they might do a FG one. As for the chrome parts, they also sell CF and FG replacements for those as well, but you will have to pay a little bit of money for it.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:47 AM

buying the part from RRM is a rip off, i sprayed my chrome piece flat black with only two coats and one coat of primer and its fine. i did it about 3 months ago and it has yet to peel or crack. spending more than a bill for that is a waste.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

^^ True I wish RRM would drop the prices on those parts by about $50-80
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks
just did vinyl on a grille earlier and it came out sick
sorry but i have no pics but its very easy to just stretch the vunyl and make it fit to every curve
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what mine looks like in vinyl. both the bumper and grill are in vinyl. do it in sections cuz it's easier than doing it in one piece. Lot's of stretching and take your time!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Sweet thats what mine would look like if I did it. Where did you buy the vinyl, was it pre cut?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't look bad at all. I like vinyl more because you can always take it off instead of sanding the paint off and re painting it. Where do you buy the plain black at?

Last edited by Bawb3; Aug 14, 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 05:23 PM

Where can I buy the vinyl