Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

how do i smoke my headlights?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i smoke my headlights?

hey guys can some one to a 'how to' for smoking headlights? i want sort of a clear light smoke gray tint on my headlights

thanks in advance!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:51 AM

There is a store on ebay called metrodecals $20 includes products (24" x 24") shipping and squeege.

the light on your trunk are easy it is the one on the sides that will give you a hard time. If you're lazy like me you could put the tint right on to light without taking them off but you'll have a tuff time to squeege and stretch the vinyl. Try to put the tint on with ambient temps of 21-28C. When cutting vinyl templates for light makesure you leave about 1/2" - 1" extra vinyl around the perimeter for you to grip and stretch the vinyl. Trust me you will have to do that for the brake light on the side.

Tools:
Squeege
very fine sewing needle
soap solution (2 drops of soap for about one bottle of water, more soap easier to work with but longer to dry)
hair dryer
lint free cloth

1. clean your lights with dish soap and water solution, and dry with lint free cloth
2. warm up your vinyls with hair dryer while still on backing paper
3. peel off backing paper and spray with solution while peeling back, make sure you spray your fingers too.
4. put vinyl on light
5. spray the top part of vinyl with solution
6. squeege from center of lights, when you feel the vinyl has some grip bonding move to next step
7. warm the vinyl again, this time until you can stretch the vinyl slightly.
8. stretch vinyl tightly over on side of the light.
9. then spray the solution on the vinyl again and squeege from center out to the edge that you have just stretch. Lift the edge alittle so th solution could drain out and pull it back down and behind the light again
10. repeat the steps until you are done all the lights!
11. After one day inspect for bubbles. ***** with needle and use your thumb to force air or solution out. When pricking the bubble try to have your needle as parallel to the surface as possible.

Start with the trunk lights so you get use to how the vinyl stretches, as these are the easier ones. Then when you get to the brake lights on the side apply the vinyl to the main surface area where the light bulbs are facing then warm the vinyl really well stretch it over the top. you'll problably get some wrinkles but if you keep stretching and applying the vinyl bit by bit it will turn out fine. You could peel the vinyl then spray with the solution to reapply on to light. As long as you don't let the vinyl completely dry out you're fine.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

thanks bro!