Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Need advice...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice...

I recently in may had purchased an lancer 08 2.0L engine and i've been deeply intriqued by the thought of possibly modding it and increasing its HP, and unfortunately really dont have much knowledge of cars, yet. I've been reading up a little and know basic maintence techniques such as changing oil, replacing rotars, brakes etc, but I want to learn more before I start really toying with my vehicle and possibly blow it up (no fun in voiding warranties!) I was hoping if I could get some advice and given directions on a good way to start modifying like changing the exhaust system (basic stuff to start), and maybe places to read up on modding. Any advice is greatly appreciated and im trying to soak in everything I can, because lets face it, im not interested in a ricer, im interested in a racer. I've seen the ideas of cold air intake, exhaust, struts, turbo-chargers, but i guess what im getting at whats a good way for a rookie to start learning and getting a hobby like this off the ground.

Im not looking to drag race it, but certainly give it a little more buck and not a complete push over, at the moment my finaical positon isnt too hot, although over the summer it would improve to over 3k-4k available at my fingertips, turbochargers or turbos would be way down the line if i got to that point, but im looking at basic upgrades and learning in the process; it seems it would have been easier for a higher class than a lancer ES, but Im going to try to make due with what I got.
Now on a side note, if you were a beginner what would you recommend kicking off with first, which would result in a little whp? I 125 whp to 170-190 seems pretty daunting to my wallet and to me at the moment, I'd prefer to take things one step at a time.

Pretty much to sum it up I want a power upgrade not necessarily for racing, but just to give my car some more kick

Thanks

-Bill
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help the car breathe easier: Intake & exhaust are basic, easy-to-do mods. Both are relatively inexpensive and will give the car a little more pep without grossly violating any warranty conditions. And if you're driving an ES, I'd get a sway bar and some springs to complete the package.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Intake and exhaust are good first mods. The Road Race Lightweight pulley is also a really nice mod that gives your car a nice kick.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=337
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

there are so many things to do, it just comes down to money and what kind of performance you are looking for. if you don't have big knowledge of cars i would start off with an intake and get the new RRM performance module. it isn't out yet but will be fairly soon and is the easiest mod to do as all you have to do is plug it in, it requires no cutting of any wires so its perfect if you are worried about the warranty at all. the list is endless though so it depends on what you want. the RRM sway bar and front strut bar does wonders though for handling especailly if you don't have the GTS. any info you need is right in the forums though so do some searching and you will find whats good or bad.