Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Exhaust leak, rust

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust leak, rust

Hello!

I have a 2003 ES Lancer.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this. So I have an obvious exhaust leak (smell and noise; smell only when the engine starts up due to richer fuel mixture). The reason why I want to fix this is because I thought it might be the cause to the error codes I've been getting (first, P0422 and now P0421). Even if that is not the cause, it sounds terrible.

The pipe that connects the 2nd catalytic converter to the muffler is rusted and has a hole (can see white CO2 escaping from the middle of the pipe during cold weather). If anyone has the same car, they can see that the exhaust pipes are kind of layered with more metal (so the leak spot is not obvious). Also, I did not see any bolts, and assumed that the pipes are welded. So my question is, what should I do? I planned on fixing this myself, but can't really weld. Should I go to my mechanic to get that single point replaced (probably around $300-400??) or just get a new exhaust system ($600-700??). Or this is possible to fix it myself without welding (perhaps I missed the bolted connection)?

Thanks very much all.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is the stock exhaust then it is welded and the only bolts on the back half are bolting it to the cat.

You should be able to get a exhaust shop to bend and weld a new back hafl for like $150-$200 for 2.25".
Or you can find aftermarket bolt together kits between $250-$500.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:13 PM

Ok, update!

I wasn't sure when I wrote it, but the 2003 Lancer does not have a second catalytic converter, it is, in fact, a resonator. The resonator-muffler assembly is all welded together so it is a huge pain (GREAT diagram). Thus, I just decided to get a new cat-back system (item).

$400 (on other sites), doesn't seem too bad for a new exhaust system which will not give me leak errors.

Thanks mci, for the help.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

You do have two cats.

The diagram pictured has a resonator, your factory system does not.
But this MagnaFlow system bolts to the 2nd cat under car.
I have the same MagnaFlow system.

You for sure do have 2 cats.

This system sounds great though, you'll really like it.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:33 AM

Ok, never mind, that picture is the diagram of how the new installation will look like so I am probably wrong, the thing that got me to correct my previous statement was in the Magnaflow instructions - "Begin removal of the OEM exhaust by unbolting the OEM resonator assembly.../"

You said it bolts to the second cat under the car, but to my limited knowledge the muffler assembly is welded to 2nd cat. But i don't know, I'll just post an update when I get it.

Also, for anyone who is looking to buy one of these, it retails for $540, but some sites sell it for $400 (google search, then go to shopping section, sort by lowest price). But most of the sites look shady, so I went to eBay and got it for $410 where I know I have some kind of protection.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:20 AM

Sorry for double post, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

In this picture, it show the 1st cat converter which goes to the manifold.

In this picture, that's the 2nd cat converter which leads to the 1st and exits at the muffler. However, you said it is bolted, but it is welded.

First cat converter, close up:

And I know, I have to replace my cat converter soon, very rusted. However, I bought this car off a guy from NH where it snows and rains a looooot. Everything else runs very nice.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Your pics are great.
you are just a little off though...

What you are calling the "1st cat" is really your 2nd cat, where your new exhaust will bolt to.
what you are calling your "2nd cat welded" is really you muffler.

Your 1st cat is really part of your exhaust manifold, the heat sheild covers it.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:50 PM

You are right, I greatly appreciate all the help.

I read some stories that say that people strip the bolts on the cat after they attach the new exhaust.

My question is, do you think, if I buy something like this (link) (a new rear converter) it will come with the needed bolts?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think it will come with the bolts but I could be wrong.
You can just pick new bolts and nuts up at Ace Hardware for a couple bucks though.

Your old bolts will be stuck on real good though, soak well in P B Buster or the like before.
I had to heat my bolts up with a blow torch to get them to break loose.

Also pick up a new 2 hole exhaust gasket and replace your old one.