Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Hypothetically Speaking...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I recently purchased a FWD 2009 Lancer ES with an automatic transmission (kinda pathetic I know but it was the best I could do at the time). Just out of curiosity, what would I have to do to make it an AWD with a regular 5-speed transmission? I am new at this whole game and I'm really just trying to learn.

Just to be clear, I know that this is a little ridiculous, but I'm willing to put some work in, and I think this would be a good opportunity to learn. My priority is the transmission. The drive-train can wait.

Last edited by ninjacoco; Oct 10, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:56 PM

not being a dick, but realistically speaking if u couldnt afford to get one that was awd, ur not gonna have the money to build one awd.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:12 AM

what about changing the transmission? is that something I could do myself if I had the right parts, or would i HAVE to take that somewhere to get it done, i guess that is my real question(s).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

get an evo.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

If you have to ask big guy, you can't afford it
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by djslik408
get an evo.
That's the plan. Just got to wait 'till I get back from this God-Forsaken Hell-Hole they call "Iraq" <---- It really does suck.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

i have no answer to this ,,,just want to say thank you for our freedom
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:03 PM

Ha ha, well thanks for entertaining me at least. Since I posted this I have learned sooooo much that I have pretty much had a constant head-ache trying to comprehend everything.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Not that I have any information to give... but those who have information should post here rather than jumping on the BUY AN EVO!!!!1one bandwagon. He asked for help on changing the drivetrain, not on what car to buy. Bump for knowledgeable people, I might be interested in the same.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

looking at just the basic mechanical you are looking at swapping out the tranny, clutch, installing the pedal with all the clutch lines, installing the shifter assembly with the cables. Past that you could be looking at some computer work.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What branch you in? I just got out of the USAF in May. Anyways, honestly you're talking about a LOTTTT of time and even more money but I suppose it could be done. I made the mistake of buying the same car as you before I did my research on Mitsu/Evo/Lancer's and I really regret it now. I think the biggest headache would be reprogramming all the electronics for the tranny and drivetrain. Just do what I'm doing, save up your money and trade in that wittle ol es for an Evo lol (sorry Carvs had to say it lol). I've done a litle research (drunken nights in between internet and ****) and it seems to me the best option is the EVO option lol. Either way good luck and thanks for serving, I never had to deploy, perks of being a desk jockey.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

check out this thread kinda got a start going here but mostly we got the drivetrain figured out this weekend we can confirm if its right but like mshilto89 said u will have to reprogram the ecu to understand your running a m/t rather than a a/t but from past experience not as had as it seems justthe awd will have to be out of an evo gsr heres the link
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...fo-thread.html