Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Question: Non-HID conversion to HID

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Question: Non-HID conversion to HID

To explain my current situation: I was involved in a wreck that cracked one of my front headlights. My first thought was to replace them with HID's. My car DID NOT come with HID's stock and it DID NOT come with DRL stock.
I then ordered these lovely beauties with an OPT. 7 - High Intensity Xenon Lighting System and a standard 9006 Relay Harness.

I drive a 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer ES.
Is it possible from this information to deduce whether or not these products will be compatible with my car? and whether if not or if so, do any of these products (or my car) need modification to install these?

fyi: I also have both of the original headlights and bulbs.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:02 AM

From the information you provided, I will tell you what I know from first-hand experience.

I have a 2011 ES MT that I installed HIDs in with the stock headlights. My kit was one I had sitting on a shelf in my shop for some time and was just a generic 9006 socket kit with 12k lamps. The ones you link to look exactly like what I have down to the rubber grommets on the wires and the mounting hardware that comes with them. The only difference is the sticker on the ballast; mine was just chrome with no tagging.

Since I had the manual transmission, I had no DRL and, from what I have deduced from talk with other owners, no need for an "anti-flicker" kit. I just plugged it all up, mounted the ballast and haven't had an issue for the last 6 months. BTW, if you go to the dealership and they haven't already done so, there was a recall for a headlight wire that hangs down behind each light (or something like that) so don't be me and zip-tie the wires so they have to undo your wiring job to do the recall fix. The "nice" service guy did one of those, "well you can't blame us if we damage parts you installed," things.

The only other thing I can offer is that I watched a video on the internet for where to mount the ballast without too much trouble. I can see there is a place on those lights you linked to for the slim ballasts, so that may be a better option.

I hope that provides some extra information for you.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:03 AM

Yeah, my issue is that the new headlights (HID-type) I ordered have extra inputs/outputs that do not plug into my car or even seem to be relatively familiar.