Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

02 lancer wont idle after sitting for a while

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 lancer wont idle after sitting for a while

My 02' Oz Rally had to sit for a couple months and didn't get started. It idles right when I cold start it but when its at running temp it wont idle, it dies. It starts right up, and is driving great. I just need ideas om what it could be, and there are no check engine sensors being thrown.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start with these
Clean throttle body
clean iac channel
clean maf
disconnect the battery to reset the idle when its cold and then start it up and DO NOT touch it for at least 20 mins, let it idle to relearn
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:32 AM

Ok dont get mad but wat is iac channel , and maf ?
I'm dumb sry
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

connected to your air filter box there is a sensor with a wire clip that has a few wires going into it. Clean the honeycomb and the sensitive sensor in there with maf cleaner spray. My setup is different but the box coming off my air filter here is the same thing you will see attached to your air box

This guy I have boxed in red is your IAC, Idle Air Controller, if you pull off your intake tube (which you will when you clean your maf). This is located directly below it, take out the 3 screws and disconnect the harness. The carefully clean the sealing surface on the motor and the engine side. also spray some cleaner into the channel that the iac fits into making sure its not clogged.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:57 AM

the screws were striped on the iac, but i cleaned the maf, and does the sensor on the side of the throttle body have to come off to clean it? Also i need to change the driver side cv, does the wheel nut have to come off or do you jus pop it out on the wheel side of the cv, jus like the tranny side thank you for your help
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:17 AM

you might be able to take an impact driver to the stripped screws to get them to rotate. its worth a shot.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by neil828
the screws were striped on the iac, but i cleaned the maf, and does the sensor on the side of the throttle body have to come off to clean it? Also i need to change the driver side cv, does the wheel nut have to come off or do you jus pop it out on the wheel side of the cv, jus like the tranny side thank you for your help
I would personally find a way to get those screws out as that will likely yield the biggest change for your issue and yes the axle nut does have to come off, you also have to at least pull the two bolts connecting the knuckle to the strut in order to slide it off before popping it out of the transmission
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:09 AM

ok the cv is out but some fluid is leaking out that idk how to replace, and i cannot get the new cv to go all the way into the tranny i am quite stuck and need to be done today so if neone can help plz reply asap!!! THank you u are making this possible and saving me a **** ton of money lol
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:19 AM

ok the cv is out but some fluid is leaking out that idk how to replace, and i cannot get the new cv to go all the way into the tranny i am quite stuck and need to be done today so if neone can help plz reply asap!!! THank you u are making this possible and saving me a **** ton of money lol
You need to push the new cv as far into the tranny as you can, then grab a rubber mallot and hit the side where your wheel goes on with the axle nut on there to keep it from mushrooming. After hitting it a few times it should go right in. After that just get some transmission fluid and pour it in where its labeled ATF. Unless yours is standard, in which case I have no experience with transmission fluid but I'm assuming its not too different.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry for so late reply I have been swamped all week. As already stated get the axles lined up straight then push in on it while tapping on the end of the axle with a rubber mallet. Its just a spring clip that needs to compress slightly to slip into the tranny all the way.