Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

2010 GTS Rear brakes/rotors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GTS Rear brakes/rotors

I'm new to the forum, and have tried to search, but can't seem to find the answer.

I have a 2010 GTS. I just replaced the front rotors and brakes, no problem.

I started on the back, and I'm having nothing but problems. I've been able to break all the bolts except the top caliper pin/bolt on each side because I can only get at it with a wrench and not a socket. Any suggestions?

Besides that, I've also just taken off the caliper to replace the rotor, and the rotor is loose, and wants to come off, but I think the E-brake (which I never engaged) is holding the rotor on. I was hitting it with a hammer thinking it was rusted on, and trying to pull, but then a spring came out of the bottom. I can't tell how to get it to release form the rotor and allow me to just pull off the rotor. I'm already thinking I f'd the ebrake on the driver side. I haven't done anything to the passenger side yet. Please help me out. And suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
:O

You have (had?) a drum parking brake inside the rear rotors.

You must remove a rubber cover and adjust the parking brake pads IN to remove the rotor...

You will need to remove the other (still good side) to compare with and see how it all should fit together... You will clean everything with brake cleaner, lightly scuff the parking brake shoes, lubricate the shoe touch points and lube inside the adjuster (it just unscrews) with moly/high temp grease, adjust the parking brake pad adjuster back out until the rotor/drum just fits over the assembly. Install the rotor and adjust the parking brake shoes OUT until they contact the drum (hard to spin/drags) and then adjust IN until rotor spins freely... Check the parking lever (pull/release several times). (OLD people like ME grew up on drum brakes )

To loosen (break) the last bolt - add another box end wrench to the end of the combination wrench to get more leverage. Next, try tapping the wrench with a mallet... Spray Break-Free[tm] on the bolt and let it soak. Curse under your breath and try again

Lube those pins properly when re-installing, eh?