Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Max Engine block and transmission limit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Max Engine block and transmission limit

I tried searching all over this forum and others forums but it looks like noones ever asked this question. I have a 2011 lancer ES 5 speed manual, I wanted to know what the maximun torque/HP both the engine block and transmission can handle. Im planning to turbocharge it and need to know how much extra power I can safely get from my car. I don't want to know how much PSI to run the boost or what octane of gas to use, I just need to know how much force the engine and tranny can take without breaking (assume 87 or 91 octane if that info is importnat). The clutch im not worried about because I can easily change that. If anyone has specs on the 4B11's limit or know from experience what it cant handle please let me know.

TLDR: Max Torque/HP the 4B11(nonturbo) engine and transmission can handle with stock internals

thanks guys
Old May 6, 2021, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Max safe and reliable PSI for the engine is around 7 or 8. No idea what the transaxle can handle but you won't run into any issues with it unless you're launching the car from a dig a lot or doing burnouts etc. Lots of info out there on people who've done builds and had no issues with the transmission. Obviously the stock clutch won't hold up for very long, so you'll want to look into a new one of those and probably a new flywheel as well.