Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Refabricating the Interior

Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOW-TO: Refabricate the Interior

Tools:
(also include anything with a blunt thin edge: EG Spatula)

Thread Sissors, Fabric Sissors, Small Razor, Safety Razor, Flathead, Phillipshead...
and VERY importantly, the right Glue.

Lay out your fabric (I bought 3 yards, though I only need 1. Its good to always give yourself room for error)

The stock door cloth actually peels right off, do it Inch by Inch carfully so as not to mess it up or tear it. The pannel its on (portion of the door) is made to look like a seperate peice that detatches. It doesnt. The fabric is tucked in the seem, and its all one door pannel, so theres not need to pull it off.
The Door fabric is gonna be your template. (Be sure to cut it maybe an inch extra large, not an exact trace of the stock peice, I did a rectangle around it actually)

Now, Im showing you the door pannels cus the dash is simple.

In the door handle is a lil' cap. Use your flat head and pop it out.
The Philips to remove the screw beneath. When thats done, put them somewhere you wont lose 'em. The handle just pops right out. Pull Up. Use the flathead to also pop up the window button pannel, it just pops up and then you pull it out. Disconnect the wire harness.

Next with the stock fabric gone, apply your glue BUT make sure you spread it thin, rather than globby. You dont want lumps in your pannels nor it bleeding through the fabric.
Be sure to get inside the door pannel seems to, cus your gonna tuck fabric into that crevice.
Allow about 15 minutes for it to get tacky, and also spread some liberally on the backside of your fabric, in that 15 minute space.
Then come back after 15 and it should appear as such...

Now apply the peice of new fabric which you cut around the template.
If it has logos like this one does, be sure that their all STRAIGHT and LINED UP.

Use your spatula (or blunt thin, whatever) to tuck in the fabric into the seem.
Go all the way around.

Press all your fabric flat against the glued wall, making sure not to have any stretching, wrinkles, or bubbles.
Cut a slit shaped like a sideways letter I into the Hole where the handle was, like so. DONT cut the fabric to the edge of the hole, you want the handle to pin it down or stretch it a lil. These flaps will tuck inwards. Pop the handle back in and screw down, replacing the lil' cap.

Now with it all tucked, and pressed on. Simply take the excess and use your safety razor to carfully slice across, leaving about a 1/4in. Then tuck that away tightly, and neatly in the same manner as before.

You may have little strings hangin' out, after you tuck. Simply use your thread sissors and clip them off one by one. DO NOT PULL THEM, you will **** up your fabric and the patterns. Take your time, and do it right. Clip 'em.

Once complete... It should appear as such. VOILA!!!

Now, wipe off any excess glue, or dirt & debree from your door pannel, handle, edges where its tucked etc.
with a moist sponge, (which I have yet to do in this picture...) so its all clean and hott lookin'...

The Dash pannel is simple. (Sorry, I had it done prior to taking pics...)
Pull the A/C plugs straight out. Pop off the surrounding dash peice.
Unscrew the 2 screws. Then it just It pops off and unscrews (from the backside) off the A/C Vents.
Its really smooth so sand the face down a bit with fine soft grit paper.
Wipe it, Glue it, Add it, cut around and through center gap (vents), tuck behind, and replace with all screws again into car.
Once you did the door, this'll take no time.

Ignore the naked steering wheel. I got a Sparco/RalliArt Steering Wheel, so I removed the airback off the stock wheel to take it out & get to the steering column to apply the new Hub Adaptor...

If you want the center box done, youll have to stitch, I had this done for me by a family member cus I dont stitch or any o' that.
Heres what it looks like:

Hope this helped you guys!

Marcos M. Duarte

Last edited by CityKnight; Nov 19, 2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.