Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Gauge install - Voltage, A/F, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gauge install - Voltage, A/F, oil pressure

Originally Posted by Danno
I installed 3 Guages, a Volt meter, an Air/Fuel Meter, and an Oilpressure guage. I used all Auto Meter Ultra Lite Gauges.

Disconnect the battery and lift the front of the car and properly put it on jack stands for safety.

I briged my positive connections and my grounds from all three gauges so that I would only have to run 1 power and 1 ground wire to the car. (Including the lights)

I used the 12 volt wire for my cigerette lighter as my power source, I hardly ever use my cigerette lighter anyways. Thus Finishing all the wiring for my Volt meter.

I ran the purple wire off of the air fuel gauge (sending wire) to the blue wire on the O2 sensor at the exhaust maniflod. I Cut the Blue O2 Sensor wire and wired in the sending wire from the A/F gauge to it, then reattached everything using crimp connectors and then taping it to keep moisture out. Now the A/f Gauge is done.

Then I went under the car and disconnected the dummy sensor for the oil pressure by unscrewing the philips screw, taking out the wire and then unscrewing the stock sending unit. I didnt have a wrench the right size so I had to use an adjustable. Then inserted the 1/8-NPT to 1/8-BSPT adapter into where the stock sending unit screwed into using pipe dope. Tefflon tape works too but I wanted the added security. (Used on all of the fittings but not mentioned from here forward)
Next I attached the 1/8-NPT "T" fitting to the adapter. On one end I installed the stock sending unit to the "T" this time using a 1/8-BSPT to 1/8-NPT adapter and on the other end I installed the Auto Meter Oil Press. sending unit. Then I Tightened my fittings, re-attached the stock sending unit wire and fed my sending unit wire and attached it to both the sending unit and the guage for the oil pressure meter.

YEAH!!!! now its done and you know what all the sizes are.

-Danno

**Note**

The adapters were a pain to find. I was able to get One of them from a local Autometer dealer but they Charged me $20.00 CDN for it . I had to make a bunch of calls to industrial suppliers to get the other fitting.
I returned the AutoMeter ripoff priced fitting to the speed shop and got all of my fittings including the "T" from a near-by supplier for $20.00 total.

**IMPORTANT NOTE**

A 1/8-BSPT male end will fit into a 1/8-NPT but it WILL NOT BE SECURE, do not do this!!! Do it properly with the correct fittings

**Other Notes**

You will have some oil come out when you stak eout the stock sending unit so have a catch tray below in preperation for this. Its a good idea to have an extra quorte of oil to top up any lost fluids.
From Danno. Discuss this thread here.