Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to install: RRM crankshaft pulley

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the hell do you get the pulley to stay put while you are trying to un-bolt it?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:04 AM
Account Disabled

thats y you need a strong impact wrench gun.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I was using a Husky 300ft/lbs
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

get a friend to step on the break...if u have a 5spd....put it in gear
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:27 PM

Stepping on the brake stops your pulley from spinning??? I'm a little confused about this, can the pulley move when the car is off and it's got a CVT transmission?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08GTSMayhem
Stepping on the brake stops your pulley from spinning??? I'm a little confused about this, can the pulley move when the car is off and it's got a CVT transmission?
IF you have a MT and you put the car in gear, then yes, stepping on the brakes will stop the engine from turning over.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

yes.... i was doing it with my uncle..and we didn't have an impact wrench and it doesnt come off when you use brute force... so we went out and bought an impact gun lol
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
yes.... i was doing it with my uncle..and we didn't have an impact wrench and it doesnt come off when you use brute force... so we went out and bought an impact gun lol
get a bigger handle and then a bigger hammer
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. When you turn the pulley it wants to turn your engine over, obviously. Well if its engaged in gear then of course your wheels will spin too. When you step on the brakes, your wheels, along with everything, wont turn. This is just one of those things that won't go through your mind when its WAYY too late and you are already VERY frustrated.

Originally Posted by nunyas
get a bigger handle and then a bigger hammer
If the tool you're using isn't working, get a bigger one and throw a hammer in the equation.

Last edited by JohnnyBoy427; Feb 13, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy427
Yes. When you turn the pulley it wants to turn your engine over, obviously. Well if its engaged in gear then of course your wheels will spin too. When you step on the brakes, your wheels, along with everything, wont turn. This is just one of those things that won't go through your mind when its WAYY too late and you are already VERY frustrated.
another reason to get a manual.. damn it.. while i was looking for my car i was just learning how to drive stick.. and i was too scared lol so i got a manual...ehhh
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by krnkimchi702
Umm a cvt doesn't have a direct connection between the engine and transmission. Its called a toque converter (two pieces allowed to move independently.) So stepping on the brake actually accomplishes nothing. Its like putting a 5 speed in neutral and stepping the the brake, the engine is still going to turn. Need an impact gun.

Last edited by CamShaft; Feb 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy427

If the tool you're using isn't working, get a bigger one and throw a hammer in the equation.
Thanks, it actually makes a lot of sense. I just had no idea why the f. would stepping on the brake do anything to the engine. I forgot that the front of the car is in the air and that the it's a front wheel drive. Cool.

Anyone know how much a fricking impact wrench is? (Damn CVT)
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

You can get electric ones for relatively cheap (under $200). I "know a guy" who bought one, used it for installation and returned it to Lowe's right afterwards, no questions asked.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:19 PM

lol, I got a compressor and an air system for pneumatic tools so I think I just need one that attaches to the hose it's probably cheaper that way although I like your "friend's" idea.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

lol, I got a compressor and an air system for pneumatic tools so I think I just need one that attaches to the hose it's probably cheaper that way although I like your "friend's" idea.
If I recall correctly, air tools do tend to run a bit less expensive than comparable quality electric tools.

Quick Reply: How to install: RRM crankshaft pulley