Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to install: RRM crankshaft pulley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install: RRM crankshaft pulley

P.S. mods....is this sticky worthy?

Hey guys and gals, got my Al crankshaft pulley from RRM.

overall, the mod is very very easy. but me being a newb, I was very hisitent about performing this. sorry for the crap pics, I forgot my digital camera, by the time I figured that out, i had the fornt tire off already, so I used my cellphone camera.

Tools needed:

5/8 box end wrenth
22 mm head for the crankshaft bolt.
oil
jack stand
jack
impact gun ( need a force above 155 lb/ft)
or some strong arms.
a friend ( I found it to be a lot easier with a friend with ya)
screwdriver both kinds

Step 1: Take of the wheel

Step 2: With a flat head screwdriver, pry out the black clips holding the plastic guard on. This will expose the crankshaft.

Step 3: Right above the crankshaft there is a tensioner pulley, use the box 5/8 wrench and turn it clockwise, it has some spring force on it so when turned clockwise, it will loosen the pully so you take off the stock crank. unscrew using either brute strength or a impact wrench.

Step4: Swap, dab some oil on the screw and screw it back in with.

Step 4: Make sure all pullies are on correctly and are sitting in its correct seat.
( just to make sure I had everything right, I used a phillips head to take off the plastic bottle where the collent goes in to get a better look and fit my hands in there.

Step5: start upthe car make sure everything is working right.....put the skirt back on, then wheel, use a star pattern to screw on the wheel , so its even.

Step6:jack down, Rip it up.

Anyone who has this car knows how slow first gear is, my first impressions is that getting out of first gear was much quicker. I was very surprised of how easy this mod was, the only hard part was to figure out where to put the RRM decal they dropped in the box
Old Nov 3, 2007, 04:59 PM

Do you feel any difference in hp?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 05:44 PM

Can you notice any change ?
Old Nov 4, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tz08LancGtS
Can you notice any change ?
With a standard gearbox or using the sport mode on the CVT, you'll definitely notice the difference in the low-end. Just using the CVT alone you won't notice a huge change, but the pulley will give it some pep.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

yea ...i feel top end power is fast and it increased low end o so slightly..definitly ffaster out of irst gear

nj 08 gts.......we should get a meet together..I'm from staten island
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Does the bolt holding the pulley need to be torqued down to a specific number, or do I just crank on it 'till it won't move?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SVTong
Does the bolt holding the pulley need to be torqued down to a specific number, or do I just crank on it 'till it won't move?
150 ft./lbs.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:44 AM

Quick question rock, or anyone who has the pulley...

I've never heard anything about when putting the pulley back on and the belts back on to turn the tensioner clockwise. So, you turn it counterclockwise to loosen it, but you don't need to do anything when putting the belt and pulley back on right? Or do I need to turn it clockwise to put the belt back on.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

make sure to dip the screw in oil before replacing the pully. and its impossible unless you got the car in the air to use a torque wrench. So you will need a impact gun. And just torque it a good amount.

AFter you replace the pully just put the belt back on and turn the vehicle on to make sure the car is runny properly.

O and remove the neg terminal during the install so when you turn on the car give it about 15mins idle so the car can learn the new parameters.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08_tweek
Quick question rock, or anyone who has the pulley...

I've never heard anything about when putting the pulley back on and the belts back on to turn the tensioner clockwise. So, you turn it counterclockwise to loosen it, but you don't need to do anything when putting the belt and pulley back on right? Or do I need to turn it clockwise to put the belt back on.
When you put the belt back on, you need to move the tensioner pulley the exact same way as when you took the belt off. FYI: When putting the belt back on, I found it easier to work from the top of the engine bay and slip it over the idler pulley. And like FinestSoldier said, give it a test start before you put everything back and cleanup your tools. Listen for belt squeaks and excessive engine vibrations...those are signs you messed up somewhere.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys, so I don't need to turn it clockwise or anything.. just move it back to where it was? (i.e. with my hand?)
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08_tweek
Thanks guys, so I don't need to turn it clockwise or anything.. just move it back to where it was? (i.e. with my hand?)
If you can move the tensioner pully with your hand, stop working on the car and become a professional arm wrestler.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

you need to use a tool i think its a 5/8th wrench on the tensioner pully. you turn counter clockwise and it should be very hard and the pully will move which will loose the belt, take off the belt. swap pullys, now to put the belt back on you have to once again pully counterclockwise on the tensioner and squeeze the belt back on. ITS VERY VERY VERY TIGHT. You might want a friend to help. But its possible to do on your own.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
If you can move the tensioner pully with your hand, stop working on the car and become a professional arm wrestler.
Dude, not sure if you weren't capable of reading or anything, but I was asking about after the pulley is done and putting the belt back on.. what and which way would I have to turn the tensioner or do I even have to turn it at all.

Finestsoldier, thanks for claring that up. I see how it works now. I assumed that once you turned it c-clocwise, it stayed that way and you would have to tighten it back up. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
Account Disabled

here to help

Quick Reply: How to install: RRM crankshaft pulley