Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Custom front grille instructions.

Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom front grille instructions.

After recieving tons of requests from the members of this board in regards to my grille I've decided to post a "how to" to answer all your questions.

The following parts can be found at your nearest Home Depot and Pep Boys.

Parts:
Aluminum Meshing
Black gloss auto spray paint
6 screws to fit the the existing bolts that wll be removed off the existing grille or if you want something easier to work with 6 black zip ties.

Tools required
Wire Cutters
Flat head screw driver
Pliers
Adjustable wrench (Socket if possible)
Tape Measurer

Removing your factory grille:
Open your hood and locate the 6 nuts that holds the grille in place. There are 2 of which are covered by black plastik coverings. After you remove those and you will notice that the grille is still attached. There are an additional 2 plastik screws that fastens the grille in place. Carefully use your pliers to clamp and push them out. Use your hand to aide the grille out by gently applying pressure upwards. They are stubborn and may require several attempts.

Making the grille:
Check the measurements of the opening of where the factory grille once was. Measure it as if you were to measure a rectangle the add about 2 inches extra on each side, I will explain why later. Apply those measurements to the aluminum mesh and cut accordingly. After you cut out what is presumably a perfect rectangle, paint it on both sides with the black auto paint. Wait for it to dry and put on another layer to prevent chipping in the future. Now you need to cut a 2 inch square on all four corners of the rectangle so that you will be able to fold the edges in.

Installing the grille:
After the mesh is completly dried, take it and hold it in front of the opening so you can visually see what you are about to do. This is the tricky part. You need to manually bend the mesh along the edges to where the additional 2 inches is folded and flushed with the inside walls of the opening. After you sucessfully fold the outer edges you will notice that the folded section of the mesh overlap the existing holes that once accomodated the screws of the factory grille. Now is time for fasten in the new custom grille. This part is up to you. You can either use screws or the black zip ties to fasten in the mesh. If you decide to use the black zip ties, simply cut off the excess plastik.

When you finish it should look something like what's beyond the link on the bottom.

I hope this was some what helpful.

http://www.lancerforums.com/registry...p?vehicleid=24
Old Apr 12, 2002, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

aluminum mesh from home depot
Old Mar 29, 2003, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Found some great mesh for doing this project... I'm in the middle of trying to do it myself. I'll post pics when I get it done.. but anyway..

You can find what is called a "door protector" at places like Home Depot, Fleet Farm or Farm and Fleet (for the wisconsinites) or Lowes and what not. They are a really nice and is an easy to work with aluminum mesh. Costs about 15 bucks for a 3' by 3' section.

Hope that is of use to some of you!

Later.

Last edited by sdhotwn; Mar 30, 2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Here is my final product for you guys... came out pretty good...

A Few tips..

Bend the top and bottom of the mesh before putting it on the car. I used a 3/4" thick board to bend around and hammered against a second board to get nice clean edges.

To darken it and hide the structure behind I just used a couple layers of fiberglass window screen and attached it to the grill itself. Then just use bolts or zip ties to get it to hold properly to the front of the car.. and then you have this:

Last edited by sdhotwn; Mar 30, 2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

It's been a couple of weeks... but I believe the actual measurements of the opening are

32.5" across the top
27.5" across the bottom...

height of around 8 inches.

So cut about 2-3 inches bigger than that when you make the trapezoid and you should be good.

As far as attaching the screen what I actuall did is folded it on itself a bit and then used zip/wire ties to attach the screen itself directly to the mesh on the back side where you can't see them. That way you can't see them and with about 8 or 9 of them the fiberglass isn't going anywhere.

Got any other questions.. post or pm me... I'll try and double check those measurements if I ever remember!

Later.

Steve

Discuss these how to's here.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Nov 10, 2003 at 12:22 PM.