Notices

Operation Front Doors :)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operation Front Doors :)

Well, i decided the front speakers absolutely SUCKED. I did amp them, and they distorted to all hell, but i suppose u cant expect much from paper cones I bought some rather large 6.5" midbass speakers about 2 years ago to fit into my old car. To fit them, i had to build a huge fiberglass mould ontot he existing door trim -- needless to say, the project failed cos the speakers were simply too big. As soon as my Lancer Wagon was parked in my driveway 2 months ago, i pulled the doors and had a bit of a look --- i was determined to finally put these speakers to use

Im a BIG believer that u dont need to spend a fortune to get a decent sounding stereo!

BELOW: Aftermarket speakers VS Stock Speakers The stock ones are very very very ..... crap. Aftermarket ones are full kevlar, with big rubbery surrounds, and a giant magnet. Sexy! Cost of big mids ... under AU$200

About 3 years back, a mate pulled a set of Earthquake splits out of a car he bought at Auctions. Needless to say, i stole the splits and tweeters off him as they were in pretty schmick condition. He took the mids. Theyve sat in a box since i got them until last weekend! Cost of tweeters + crossovers ... AU$FREE

More pics and a stuff to come

So, do you think they'll fit with realtive ease?

Old Oct 30, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on how much depth you have in the door for that big magnet. You might end up using a spacer ring behind it to bring it out some if the window glass is in the way.

Where are you mounting the tweeters?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

PS .... sarcasm above was intended :P Ive got them in on 18mm spacers, with only a bit of plastic choppping on the back of the door trim. Tweeters have been mounted onto the little mirror sail panel as i didnt want to hack up my A pilar panels for the sake of fitting a stereo --- Ive tryed to install everything so it CAN be reversed if needed to without damaging any metal, or visible panels. Mitsu charge a LOT for large plastic parts! Im not gonna wreck my 2 month old car just yet
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Have put a few pics up here ... .
http://www.sp33dy.com/lancer/front_d...rontdoors1.php

Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

I've got a few things for you.

1) The upgraded speakers that come with the S&S package are better than the low end speakers. They can handle more power and sound quite nice actually at high volume.

2) How did you manage to fit that huge magnet in there without blocking the windows?

3) Look into getting some tweeter mounts that are adjustable or rigging the ones you have so that you can angle the tweeters towards you. Right now you are missing out on a lot of the sound quality that you paid for.

4) Also see if you can find someone on here that is selling their A pillars with the tweeter holes. If you can get your hands on those it will make your install look a lot cleaner.

Besides all that good job on the install.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigdoggy_dog
1) The upgraded speakers that come with the S&S package are better than the low end speakers. They can handle more power and sound quite nice actually at high volume.
No idea what teh S&S package is as im in Australia ...... eitherway, anything OEM can be improved on !

2) How did you manage to fit that huge magnet in there without blocking the windows?
As u can see in the link, i made some 18mm spacers ... and a cut a bit of plastic on the back of the door trim. The magnets clear the windows by 2mm thanks to the spacers! . There was a LOT more room than i initially thought!

3) Look into getting some tweeter mounts that are adjustable or rigging the ones you have so that you can angle the tweeters towards you. Right now you are missing out on a lot of the sound quality that you paid for.
As mentioned in post #1 of this thread ... i paid NOTHING for the tweeters / crossovers ... so i didnt get tweeter cups for them, otherwise id of used them. Im quite happy with the way they sit/sound at the moment, but might upgrae in the future. I was tryin to make the most of very little that i already had!

4) Also see if you can find someone on here that is selling their A pillars with the tweeter holes. If you can get your hands on those it will make your install look a lot cleaner.
Again, im in AUstralia ... and i doubt anyone would sell me some A pillars for CHEAP .... also not sure if AUDM / USDM a pillars are different in any way due to RHD / LHD difference ... probably arent, but u never know

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by sP33Dy; Oct 30, 2006 at 04:34 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

With the pillars you would have to get them from the USDM as our Australian cars don't have them....

I had to make up my own spacers for my car but not as thick as yours mine were for the Type R Alpine 61/2" my spacers were 9mm... mine are still not wired up to the deck yet still need to get mine done

but good job so far...
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Update time ... OLD vs NEW amp Alpine so sexy! (even though its such a cheap amp from their range.. 4x50w )

Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:23 PM

nice pics overthere, and more the tweter instal, i will do that upgrade too but with a pionner 6 1/2 components in front and rear i think i need to do something about the hole because i think it is 6/34; i haven't tought abut the amp yet but i willnot be a problem