Notices

Must read for all those running a BIG system

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Must read for all those running a BIG system

If you haven't upgraded your alternator yet, you should. Your system will sound better because you'll have constant power to your amps. It will be cleaner power which will be clearer sound.

Check this out...group buy on an alternator...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=300160

And for all the reason why you should get an upgraded alternator...

Here are some selections from an article on audio system power design. The whole article can be found here:

http://caraudiobook.com/car_audio_el...al_systems.htm

Quote:
Depending on your car's factory electrical system, you may not have enough power to run your aftermarket stereo system. You probably do unless you have a multi-megawatt system or an extremely tiny alternator. Generally systems under 500 watts will not need an upgrade.

Quote:
If one battery is good then two must be better. Right? Wrong. Remember that the function of a battery is to start the vehicle and to provide power when the vehicle is not running. The only thing a second battery will help you with is "parking lot" listening time. Basically it will provide you the additional capacity to run your stereo longer without starting the vehicle. After the vehicle is started the second battery becomes another load on an already overworked alternator.

Quote:
you may need to upgrade your alternator. Doing so will give you more juice to run all of your electrical components, including your stereo system, without looking to the battery for help. The problem is your alternator is undersized for your new electrical requirements and has to look to the battery to provide the extra power, resulting in shortened battery life.

Upgrading your alternator will also allow you to run a smaller battery with higher output stereo systems.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is our alternator the same as the evo?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up until last week(cold, car is stored) I was running on average 3200wrms daily!! I have a stock 125amp alternator, I have done my big 3, swapped my battery for a BIG battery, Hawker 2150(2150amps for 5 sec surge), and 4 runs of 0ga wire!! Believe me I never ran into a problem with my stereo! however Most people won't go into the extreme that I have gone, Good thread!! And a Irragi Alternator is a GREAT deal!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is different...and we just confirmed with Iraggi that the group buy would be per different alternator. So, alternators for a Ralliart would not get the advantage of the group buy.

Mods please close thread /

Last edited by atombomb33; Oct 20, 2007 at 07:12 PM.