Notices

Subwoofer and Amp Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer and Amp Opinions

Hey guys, I figured this would be a good topic of discussion.....

I just acquired a box that will hold two 12's, and I was wondering what you guys would consider putting into it. Also, to support them, I'd like to throw in at least a 1200 watt amp into the mix.

So, that being said, what would you guys put into our cars? Or better yet, what have you put into the car? I personally listen to a wide range of music, so I'm looking for something rather versatile.

As always, please keep the posts on topic.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
heard good things about the alpine type r subs =]
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:30 AM

There are alot of good choices out there. JLW7, W6, Arc Audio, Alpine type R, Alpine Type X, Kicker, Image Dynamics, just to name a few. I have a single 12 Arc Audio Flatline in a sealed 1 ft cube, being power by an Arc Audio 1000.2 T. 1000rms. It sounds great.

1500rms is alot of power and should blur your vision. Take the box size, budget and subs rms rating and go from there.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im on my 3rd system for this car.
Ive ran dual voice coil alpine 10s ran by 4 kicker amps with a typical square box,kicker comp 12s ran by a Brutis Hifonics brutis amp in a square box, an now i have Polk 12s in a custom fiberglass box ran by the Hifonics in my car.
Just make sure you have the correct air space for your subs. 1200 watts for a couple of 12s seems kinda high unless your throwing a crap amp on them that says 1200 watts. A good 600-800 watt amp should be just fine unless your looking to blow your ears out.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed i had 3 ten inch jls in my celica an then bought a 600 watt amp for that so with running 200 per channel that **** was loud enough, left it most of the time on 0 sub and rairly went to +2

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Im on my 3rd system for this car.
Ive ran dual voice coil alpine 10s ran by 4 kicker amps with a typical square box,kicker comp 12s ran by a Brutis Hifonics brutis amp in a square box, an now i have Polk 12s in a custom fiberglass box ran by the Hifonics in my car.
Just make sure you have the correct air space for your subs. 1200 watts for a couple of 12s seems kinda high unless your throwing a crap amp on them that says 1200 watts. A good 600-800 watt amp should be just fine unless your looking to blow your ears out.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by justintjustin
Agreed i had 3 ten inch jls in my celica an then bought a 600 watt amp for that so with running 200 per channel that **** was loud enough, left it most of the time on 0 sub and rairly went to +2
Good to know! I was under the impression that you needed more power in order for them to be properly supported. This is great news as I can explore much cheaper alternatives.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

stay away from name brand companies like JL, Alpine etc all your basically doing is paying for the name. go with a company thats not commercially known such as sound solutions audio, stereo integrity, or FI Audio. These companies make subs that cost half of the name brand subs and actually perform as well if not better. Ive had numerous subs in various cars over the years and my current set up is the best! i have 2 10" SSA Icon subs and everyone that hears them are amazed! as for an amp, same advice, i would recommend that you get a sundown amp, they are awesome!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:54 PM

i would say you can get away with pretty much any brand if your getting 2 twelve inch subs. just make sure the box matches the air space required for subs. i get customers coming to me all the time wondering why their subs don't hit right and its an airspace issue. also make sure you are checking the rms (constant power) of your amplifier and matching it with the subs. you also need to make sure your running the correct ohm load for your subs and amplifier. last wire it properly to get the proper ohm load, if you would like, just send me the set up you are looking at and i'll get you a wiring diagram. i'm running 2 kicker comp vr's with 800 watts rms alpine amp and its too much!! haha
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:19 AM
Evolving Member

he is right, as long as your look at your OHMs and your wattage as well as what kind of rubber they use around the cone you should be alright. Name brands do jack em up but you can get pretty cheap jl subs for like 50-70 bucks now adays and if you wanna do that 3 sub set up make sure you buy 3 of the SAME subs or else there might be problems!

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
stay away from name brand companies like JL, Alpine etc all your basically doing is paying for the name. go with a company thats not commercially known such as sound solutions audio, stereo integrity, or FI Audio. These companies make subs that cost half of the name brand subs and actually perform as well if not better. Ive had numerous subs in various cars over the years and my current set up is the best! i have 2 10" SSA Icon subs and everyone that hears them are amazed! as for an amp, same advice, i would recommend that you get a sundown amp, they are awesome!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:11 PM

in my 04 ralliart i got 2 Orion XTRPro 12's runnin off a Planet Audio 1601D with a Batcap 800 for support. only in a pre fab box though. hoping to do a custom box here soon.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

good god that is awesome you have 2 12's in your lancer, good god that must fill up half the trunk!! Bach must sound amazing in there!!!

Originally Posted by Philly_360
in my 04 ralliart i got 2 Orion XTRPro 12's runnin off a Planet Audio 1601D with a Batcap 800 for support. only in a pre fab box though. hoping to do a custom box here soon.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
agreed i got 2 12" c4's and an alpine amp that i bought at a pawn shop and they work awesome amp is 550 and the subs are 600 a peice but im going to get another amp so they push alot more "as it is their loud i set off car alarms lol" i say go with whatever sound you like
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

I bought 2 10" Jensen XS subs from walmart quite a few years ago for $49.95 per sub. I put them in a bandpass box I already had and hooked up a 250 watt boss amp to them and holy jesus they were nuts! I've also seen 4 10 inch acoustic subs hooked up to a 50 watt amp that set off many a car alarm. If you have an estimate of the size of box you have that'll definitely help, different subs call for different size boxes.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:47 PM

Check out exile they are like the old school Phoenix gold. " the ****" pretty much
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

JL audio all the way. two 12" w3 with a 500/1 amp powering it will sound perfect. since i have the same system and went thru about 3 different options. aplines are good but they blow. if you want to go a cheaper route id recomment kicker competition subs with alpine mono amp.