Notices

Integrated audio/gauge package

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Integrated audio/gauge package

Help me assemble the components i need to achieve my dream system.Goal:double DIN touchscreen that can display a page with ECU parameters (boost and air/fuel) as 'gauges' (and easy to dig deeper into other ECU parameters if possible)ANDinput from iPod and iPhones as a music source (CD and DVD play capability not a requirement). HD radio a 'plus'. Sirius input not needed. Navigation would be a plus...ANDRCA line outs to ampsPrefer built in active crossover control with separate sub outputPrefer two fron/two rear plus subQuestionso i need a seperate computer with adapter for the ECU? Recomendations?What 'input' do i need for the computer for the head unit display (assume i know nothing..) Can i simply use the back up camera inputs?Software?Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Amazon Amazon

Is what i have seen so far...

I want steering wheel control interface... and voice command if not too expensive...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cranswick, say something funny here.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
^^^ This. :P

But seriously it sounds like you need to do some car audio and computer research before you attempt putting together anything. You might want to do some research on carputer systems. That would probably be your closest option. Personally Im not sure how much of your list is doable with one of those but Ive seen stuff like this done on them.

Either way good luck. It sounds really cool. If you get it done post up some pics or a vid it'd be interesting to see!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is thread from the Evo section.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...droid-evo.html

I have been doing some research myself and will most likely be doing something similar soon. I have bought the double din bezel and am currently waiting on my HVAC relocation.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

I have a similar setup except mine isn't fully installed like that one. I have a hacked nook color running android with all that stuff he has as well. Torque pro will let you do the gauges that he shows. But that is limited to only what your ECU reads. If it doesn't read it them Torque wont pick it up. You could do a mod similar to that its not very complicated just takes a little know how and quite a bit of ingenuity. Good luck!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
what you'll need first is the steering wheel and column out of a toyota matrix, the pinion doesn't match our rack, so you'll have to glue it, the wiring for the audio controls is all ****ed up, so you'll need to do some trial and error soldering. You could build a mini ITX computer into the glove box with Dragon voice recognition software installed on it. how the **** you would make it all work together, i have no ****ing idea. good luck with that.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
what you'll need first is the steering wheel and column out of a toyota matrix, the pinion doesn't match our rack, so you'll have to glue it, the wiring for the audio controls is all ****ed up, so you'll need to do some trial and error soldering. You could build a mini ITX computer into the glove box with Dragon voice recognition software installed on it. how the **** you would make it all work together, i have no ****ing idea. good luck with that.

could you write up a diy for that
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have been watching the EVO thread as well.

I thought i would open the discussion to a wider audience here.

The integration is the key.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:48 PM

I am no audio/visual genius, but I believe that you can just wire the front and rears to an aftermarket amp, then run RCA cables to 3.5mm headphone jack to the tablet. That should cover your audio side of the installation.

I am not 100% certain of this, so if anybody can confirm that would be great.

I just need to get a 7" tablet, but funds are tight right now.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

But would not get radio...
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

You could. Two ways. If the tablet can get cell signal which I would hope it would cause your not going to be able to use the maps or anything other wise. You can download TuneIn Radio which can find you a lot of local radio stations, but not everything.

If you want an old school one then I would probably put a cheap head unit like a Sony XPLOD or maybe something with a remote in the glove box. Run your Aux cable from your Tablet into it and then switch it from Aux to Radio when you wanna listen to it.