Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

HID questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID questions

I am thinking about getting some HID for my car but I don’t know what’s the different from hi/lo beam and the single beam? My friend said that in hi/lo beam the low is almost the same as the stock head lights and the high beam is the HID. Is that true? And in the single beam its just the HID
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

there is alot of info about this on here if u search for it. the single beam is just the low beam. hi/low is what our cars run stock obvoiusly. i personally have used my high beam less than 5 times total i would say but i would still get the hi/low both but thats just me. its brightness depends on what temp ur kit is. basically the higher temp means less brightness more color. it just depends what u want. if u actually want something bright then stay between 4000k - 6000k but if u lookin for color then there are many charts out there that show u what temp will give what color.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:00 PM

I looked on the HID web pages and on hi/lo the low is about 3 times brighter and the high is about 10 times brighter. How the single beam, it’s about 10 times brighter so I think is i get hi/lo I would be driving on high beam most of the time.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Personally I wouldn't recommend HID's. Yes they are much brighter for you, but because your light housings aren't made for HID bulbs, they tend to scatter the light around and most of the time some of that scattered light is pointed upward and blinds the other drivers. This picture below is of a true aligned HID system on a car. You can see the cutoff is straight and not high enough to blind people, and the light is concentrated onto the ground perfectly.

This picture shows how the HID is just directed forward, and much higher than the other picture.

OEM Headlamps and even some aftermarket's are made for halogen bulbs, which are very different from HID bulbs.

If you really want to get a HID kit that is safer for other drivers, find someone to do retrofit for you, or try to do one yourself. It will be well worth it in the end.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bua hahaha i have a plug and play kit on my car , so i blind everyone then i dont care as long as i can see more ,lol
heres my 8k kit on my car

Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MX41
Personally I wouldn't recommend HID's. Yes they are much brighter for you, but because your light housings aren't made for HID bulbs, they tend to scatter the light around and most of the time some of that scattered light is pointed upward and blinds the other drivers. This picture below is of a true aligned HID system on a car. You can see the cutoff is straight and not high enough to blind people, and the light is concentrated onto the ground perfectly.

This picture shows how the HID is just directed forward, and much higher than the other picture.

OEM Headlamps and even some aftermarket's are made for halogen bulbs, which are very different from HID bulbs.

If you really want to get a HID kit that is safer for other drivers, find someone to do retrofit for you, or try to do one yourself. It will be well worth it in the end.
Agreed, unless you plan on doing it right, don't be one of those guys who does it wrong and annoys other people on the road.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 03:53 PM

i should be getting my HIDs in the mail today. if it does come in im going to put them on ASAP.. "i cant wait" ahahah
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Problem solved. Since this thread is a question and not showing or shining, CLOSED.