Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

is goo gone safe on clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u know what, i dont think Goo Gone Automotive (spray gel) eats up the clear coat. i just waxed my car jsut now its dark outside so i couldn't see too well but i dont think its as powerful as the house product version.

to also back up my conclusion, on the Goo Gone automotive there is a picture of an integra with tree sap on the hood and fender, which explains that we're supposed to apply this product on the car's coat.

in conclusion, i think this goo gone automotive thing is alright, just dont use the house/industrial one.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

oh and by the way, i highly recommend you guys, for lil knicks and scratches, to get urself the Turtlewax Scratch remover. it comes with a lipstick wax thing to go over the gashes and liquid wax to polish/compound the area to blend in. and they come in specific colors, silver, yellow, white etc... dont have to be exact same color and it works GREAT.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

I've discovered that using goo gone on the clear coat is fine in moderation, but if you sit there and rub hard, eat eats straight through and even into your base coat. That's the mistake I made when debadging. There's no ghost letters, but instead 6 little oval shaped clouds. Luckily you can only see it at certain angles but it still looks like ****. I waxed the hell out of it and it still won't go away. I'm hoping a body shop can buff it out or something.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

yea, or u can just buy urself a new cf trunk.

but anything that u rub on the car hard will kill the coat.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 03:20 PM

I used goo gone on my car to remove the LANCER on my car, and I SOAKED the goo and rubbed and rubbed and rubbed (in fact I gave myself blisters cuz I used my fingers when the paper towels wouldn't work anymore) Afterwards I used a soft sponge and car soap and washed it all off real good (don't let the oily stuff stay there) then I waxed just the bumper (since I had waxed the whole car the day before) And badaboom, it was done, no eating away at paint here.