Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Definition of a coilover?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definition of a coilover?

So I was looking around on the web for coilover kits, and I'm seeing a lot of what I guess are called sleeves. Now I've always thought that a coilover was designed into the strut and all came together made for each other. The new debate here is that I was told that sleeves are the coilover. Now I understand that coilover means exactly what it says. Its a coil over the strut. However, I found these skunk2 coilover sleeves and was just wondering if they are actually worth buying or if its all just bs. Plz help.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
No, sleeves are sleeves. They are horrible and only ricers use them (no offense to people currently using sleeves). The reason I say this is because sleeves are basically just overglorified springs, they allow you to lower the car as much as you want but they don't contribute to better handling. Real coilovers are springs and struts designed to work together.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Technically, stock springs and struts are "coilovers" since they are a coil over a strut (MacPherson) system, but aftermarket has basically defined coilovers as a MacPherson system with typically nonprogressive springs on an adjustable height perch with (sometimes) adjustable dampening.

Coilover "sleeves" are trash. Don't waste your time unless your car is show only.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

K thank god I know that. Well what do you guys think about the b&g progressive springs?
Old May 13, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Never heard of em, got a link?
Old May 13, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Na, couldnt find them in stores online. My audio guy said he could hook me up with a set for like 185. Said they're comparable to eibach pro-kit. But he sells the pro-kit for like 250. I do believe it is a 1.8 in. drop all around.
Old May 13, 2007, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Here is what I could find
http://www.autocarparts.com/cars/Mit...nsion/Springs/
Old May 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Springs are springs. IMO they are not a performance upgrade, they are purely for looks. If all you want is a nice looking car, get springs. If you plan on autoxing, get coilovers.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Springs sound nice. How low though. I dont want to scrape on anything but also dont wanna look like I'm ready for a flood.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on the springs.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Springs are not just springs. Aftermarket springs typically offer an increased spring rate which stiffens the ride and decreases the amount of compression travel and body roll. Given an appropriate setup where the spring is not so short as to blow your struts, they are indeed a performance upgrade. It all depends on the system. A well put together spring/strut setup will outperform a cheap hacked up coilover system at the autoX.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

So I read in some thread that the only company that makes aftermarket struts for our cars is KYB but I heard from a friend that KYB sucks nuts. Cause if I buy the springs, I'm buying struts too cause mine need to be replaced anyways.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I meant aftermarket springs are aftermarket springs, there aren't any significant differences from one spring company to another. Currently there are no springs available that won't blow the stock struts. This is because 1. our stock struts suck and 2. people don't want to spend 200$ to have a car that looks stock. Remember we drive econobox cars, the struts were not designed for performance, they were designed for comfort and affordability. KYB is the only company offering struts for our cars. They are basically stock replacements.
Old May 14, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

So if you say they are stock replacements, then that would mean that they are the same as what we already have on our cars? Then theoretically, you get the KYB struts, get the lowering kit, and blow out your new struts is what your saying? Hmm, really seems like someone should make some aftermarket struts for our cars regardless of the econobox sticker weve been labeled with. You would think they would make more parts for our cars seeing as they are the cheaper and thus more affordable to us people that like to build cars but can't afford the best.
Old May 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

They are not performance struts but apparently they are better than stock.

Quick Reply: Definition of a coilover?