Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 lancers do not need to reset the sensors on a wheel rotation. You can use metal caps but they must be made of nickel alloy or use never seize. Chrome plated brass will seize to the aluminum sensor.
Old May 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OoLancer
i'm surprised they don't alert you when they're overfilled because when i picked up my lancer the tires were filled to 40 psi and there was no alert. all four of them too!
I keep my tires at 38 PSI. it doesn't hurt. It all depends on how you want it to feel and handle in certain conditions.
Old May 11, 2008, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donut

Does the donut have a TPMS?
Old May 11, 2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
I keep my tires at 38 PSI. it doesn't hurt. It all depends on how you want it to feel and handle in certain conditions.

ha the ride quality was super bouncy, i guess cause the spring rates and dampers were set for a car with lower pressures?. it got annoying quickly tho. i always thought riding tires with higher pressures causes accelerating wearing of the sidewall and is dangerous traveling long distances?

makes sense.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by master.axu
no.

Originally Posted by OoLancer
ha the ride quality was super bouncy, i guess cause the spring rates and dampers were set for a car with lower pressures?. it got annoying quickly tho. i always thought riding tires with higher pressures causes accelerating wearing of the sidewall and is dangerous traveling long distances?

makes sense.
By overinflating your tires, you will cause the center section of your tires to wear more than the side wall does.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

I want to run a set of winter rims and a set of summer rims. Will switching out the two sets of rims every year (both with TPMS) do anything or would it be the same?
Old May 21, 2008, 10:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It SHOULD be perfectly fine. Some folks have claimed that their dealership have said "you can't have two sets of TPMS active at once," but I suspect it's a lie.

I can't say 100% for sure, though. My Summers have the TPMS and my Winters do not. So I get the annoying bonging from November to April...
Old May 21, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

well if that's what i have to live with for GREATLY improved snow tracton, then so be it...I'll get the TPMS installed on the new wheels so hopefully it doesn't cause any problems.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by YeOldeLancer
well if that's what i have to live with for GREATLY improved snow tracton, then so be it...I'll get the TPMS installed on the new wheels so hopefully it doesn't cause any problems.
Should work fine. Having dedicated Winters really does help the handling.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by master.axu
As stated earlier, the donut definitely does NOT have a TPMS sensor in it. I drove on my donut for a weekend waiting for a new tire to be delivered to the tire shop, and got to look at the "Service Required" and a tire on the multi-display in my dash the entire time.

I found it to be annoying as heck...

I don't know how you northern guys do it all winter....
Old May 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

well I find it less invading then the ones on mercedes where it simply cuts you 2-4 cylinder until all sensors are ok lol
Old May 23, 2008, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
As stated earlier, the donut definitely does NOT have a TPMS sensor in it. I drove on my donut for a weekend waiting for a new tire to be delivered to the tire shop, and got to look at the "Service Required" and a tire on the multi-display in my dash the entire time.

I found it to be annoying as heck...

I don't know how you northern guys do it all winter....
I havn't changed my tires yet, and I didn't have any major problems through the winter. Snow is like a girl, treat her right and you get rewarded with a little drift here and there, do it wrong and things could get messy Anyways, I don't plan on changing tires till this winter so no TPMS garbage for me until next year when I get new rims for a summer set. But I plan on getting a second set of sensors so I don't have to worry about the stupid light.

I get to enjoy the stupid service reminder on my oil filter...
Old May 23, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Just reading reviews on the OEM Dunlops has convinced me that these tires are not particularly good at anything. Even on a warm sunny day, gassing it on an on-ramp will cause noticeable slippage. And our GTSs only have 168 hp, so I would all of it to get the the ground

If they're not great on dry road, I can only imagine how much they suffer with anything on the raod (ie, rain and snow) I've read a lot of complaints with rainy weather and how they're very inclined to hydroplaning. I'll run them up to the fall season and possibly next summer but I'm definitely investing on winter tires.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
I havn't changed my tires yet, and I didn't have any major problems through the winter. Snow is like a girl, treat her right and you get rewarded with a little drift here and there, do it wrong and things could get messy Anyways, I don't plan on changing tires till this winter so no TPMS garbage for me until next year when I get new rims for a summer set. But I plan on getting a second set of sensors so I don't have to worry about the stupid light.

I get to enjoy the stupid service reminder on my oil filter...
Do you have a GTS? I've been looking for 18" snow tires and I can't find them anywhere! I ideally want to get snow tires for the stock rim, then set sumer tires with new wheels for the summer but right now it looks like I'll be getting the new wheels with snow tires on them. Oh well, it never hurt to look good in the snow
Old May 23, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, i have the GTS, wish it was blue though. I havn't started looking for good snowtires for the stock rims yet. I've been kind of delaying to let the market come up with something, and also waiting for the stock dunlops to wear out so i don't feel too bad about switching out a good tire. There's probably more info on the forum about what fits, just search for it.

Quick Reply: TPMS - the ultimate FAQ