Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i swapped the 09 galant ralliart wheels..which have tpms with my gts wheels and have the same service required on both of my dashes....today the wife will go to see about getting it recalibrated.....at walmart lol..will report on her findings
Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:56 PM

I am getting winter tires this Friday and was quoted by both Platinum and Hyatt Mitsubishi here in Calgary that the TPMS on winter tires is $400 or $50/wheel. I have opted out of this option this year as winter rubber and wheels is costing me near $1300 for 16". Yes, you can put 16" wheels on the GTS. 18" rubber and winter rims runs about $2000. I will report back with any temporary 'fixes' to make the dinging stop, I will try holding the info button down for 2 seconds. Yay, winter! *said with total sarcasm*
Old Nov 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nefertiti
I am getting winter tires this Friday and was quoted by both Platinum and Hyatt Mitsubishi here in Calgary that the TPMS on winter tires is $400 or $50/wheel.
Can you please clarify? I think I'm missing something here. $50 x 4 wheels is $200. How come it is $400 or $50 per wheels?
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

I just got a set of Firestone Winterforce mounted on 16" steelies for the winter. Steel wheels do not accept TPMS. It took about 20 minutes of driving before the warning light came on. It seems to come on about every 15 minutes and I hold the info button to clear it each time.

When I put my stock wheels back on will the TPMS need to be re-calibrated since I will have them off for 3-4 months? I'm hoping they will just automatically be recognized again.

Yes it's true - 16" steels fit on the GTS. Got them from tirerack.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:52 PM

Unfortunately only the dealer can re-sync the TPMS sensor with the car. I have an '08 and got some cheap 16" rims last winter with some good snow tires. The dealer charges me about $40 every time to sync them. Total rip off if you ask me.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:44 PM

Does anyone know if my GTS will go into "limp" mode if I end up getting this service message and dummy light??? I want some cheap 16s for the snow we get, and don't mind the messages, I just hate when my car loses umph.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO. You will only have a little msg on the dash. Nothing more
Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by dyno
I just got a set of Firestone Winterforce mounted on 16" steelies for the winter. Steel wheels do not accept TPMS. It took about 20 minutes of driving before the warning light came on. It seems to come on about every 15 minutes and I hold the info button to clear it each time.

When I put my stock wheels back on will the TPMS need to be re-calibrated since I will have them off for 3-4 months? I'm hoping they will just automatically be recognized again.

Yes it's true - 16" steels fit on the GTS. Got them from tirerack.

A long as you don't have the car retrained to new sensors the car will acknowledge the sensors and kill the warnings once the originals are reinstalled. It did take about 20 minutes of driving for the light to go out for me last spring once the OEM rims were back on.

I have found a website
http://www.mitsubishi-tpms.com/
which claims to offer a tool other then the MUT III system to retrain sensors but it appears to still be to expensive for the normal owner to justify. I haven't found any one with the new tool yet to verify if it does work but at least there appears to be another option now.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:39 AM

ok so i got back from iraq and a couple days later the sensor stopped coming up...i thought maybe cause of the code......then the galants' went off too....was good for a bout a week....then back it reared its ugly head....it now comes and goes as it pleases....it doesnt bother so much in the galant its just a little light...but the lancer pops up with that big yellow triangle...i hold it for a couple seconds every time it pops not too much of a hassle........
Old Jan 17, 2009, 09:51 AM

Lightbulb

I wonder if the following would work? (Taken from the 2009 Mazda 6 owner's manual.)

If you or someone else changes tires, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration.

1. After tires have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or off (LOCK).

2. Wait for about 15 minutes.

3. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

NOTE
If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes
of changing tires, the tire pressure monitoring
system warning light will flash because the
sensor ID signal code would not have been
registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for
about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID
signal code will register upon driving the
vehicle for 10 minutes.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by obibok
I wonder if the following would work? (Taken from the 2009 Mazda 6 owner's manual.)
If you or someone else changes tires, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration.

1. After tires have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or off (LOCK).

2. Wait for about 15 minutes.

3. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

NOTE
If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes
of changing tires, the tire pressure monitoring
system warning light will flash because the
sensor ID signal code would not have been
registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for
about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID
signal code will register upon driving the
vehicle for 10 minutes.
This seems contradictory to what everyone else has previously posted. You're saying just switch to winter rims/tires (equipped with their own sensors of course) and wait 15mins, then drive.

Everyone else is posting that the ECU will need to be trained to pick up on the second set of sensors. By the dealer, using an expensive machine..... What gives?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:10 PM

Just how bad is the warning anyway? Is it livable or does it persist every 10 mins or so until spring?

I can see its going to wind me up. You pay a fortune for a nice new car and spend six months of the year pressing a button all the time. Or, shell out for a second set of sensors (did anyone ever confirm what these are worth) and then get nailed up the wrong 'n twice a year by to connect them to the ECU.

Any more info available on prices v's level of annoyance?

And does anyone have a part# for the sensor on a '09 GTS?

Last edited by andyt; Mar 11, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:06 PM

I got a set of sensors off of a jeep liberty, Most Chryslers have the identical sensors as the mitsu's. The set of four used were 45$ shipped. Just waiting for warmer weather to put on the summers. I have access to a brand new snap-on SOLUS, so im gonna see if i can calibrate them this way. if not back to the dealer i go.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:20 PM

After-market TPMS vs. OEM

I'm trying to see if I absolutely need to purchase an OEM TPMS for my '09 Lancer GTS. I want to keep the stock wheels for winter and leave the TPMS on them. My problem is I would rather not fork over almost $400 just for some sensors. I have seen aftermarket ones for less than half, and some guy on E-bay is selling genuines for $50/ea. Has anyone had any issues with aftermarket TPMS, and is there a preferred manufacturer that anyone would recommend. Thanks all.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ablunt
I'm trying to see if I absolutely need to purchase an OEM TPMS for my '09 Lancer GTS. I want to keep the stock wheels for winter and leave the TPMS on them. My problem is I would rather not fork over almost $400 just for some sensors. I have seen aftermarket ones for less than half, and some guy on E-bay is selling genuines for $50/ea. Has anyone had any issues with aftermarket TPMS, and is there a preferred manufacturer that anyone would recommend. Thanks all.
Hey! Another Bostonian!
Where you from in Boston? I live near Fall River, MA.

Anyway... you can purchase OEM TPMS sensor at tirerack.com.
They don't have it on their website, you can just call them and ask for it.

It's about $52 dollars each when I got them around September 2008.

Quick Reply: TPMS - the ultimate FAQ