Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuchurockit
Dealership I bought my car from quoted me at $450/set of TPMS, + $80 to install them, then $100 to program them each time I switch between my winters (stock rims) and summers (new rims). Those are Canadian prices, but regardless, sounds like a total rip off.
Simple question. I know having the TMPSs need to be done at a dealership, but other than OE TMPSs, are there other aftermarket TMPSs or ones off a different brand vehicle that would work? Someone mentioned Chrysler using the same OE TMPS as Mitsu. Can't justify paying almost $600 just for some tire pressure sensors.
i have a set of 4 from my brothers gts that he totaled a few months ago.

i can sell them relatively cheap , lmk if your interested.

they are currently still mounted in gts rims/tires so I would have to pay about $40 to dismount them but its no biggie.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership I bought my car from quoted me at $450/set of TPMS, + $80 to install them, then $100 to program them each time I switch between my winters (stock rims) and summers (new rims). Those are Canadian prices, but regardless, sounds like a total rip off.
Simple question. I know having the TMPSs need to be done at a dealership, but other than OE TMPSs, are there other aftermarket TMPSs or ones off a different brand vehicle that would work? Someone mentioned Chrysler using the same OE TMPS as Mitsu. Can't justify paying almost $600 just for some tire pressure sensors.

Thats insane. I usually buy my parts from the US for my Celica and I always save a lot of money sometimes half the price.

I found them at mileoneparts at 62$ each for the whole replacement kit.

Here the link : http://www.mileoneparts.com/partloca...layCatalogid=0

Anyone found cheaper ?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Darklol
Thats insane. I usually buy my parts from the US for my Celica and I always save a lot of money sometimes half the price.

I found them at mileoneparts at 62$ each for the whole replacement kit.

Here the link : http://www.mileoneparts.com/partloca...layCatalogid=0

Anyone found cheaper ?
Picked them up from a local aftermarket shop ... $250 for the set. Still waiting on the weather ... can't believe is snowed Sunday night!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you are paying way too much for sensors....tire rack has them for much cheaper, and they are OEM! They come in a mitsu box! I was amazed....I think they are around 70-80$ a piece. The new TPMS need to be programmed to the car, via mitsu...they have the "daimler-chrysler" tool.

BUT ---- In November of last year, I installed my winter set of wheels. The light never came on...I was curious... I went to the dealership to get the programming anyways (50$). This set has been registered the previous winter... I just put new tires on my summer wheels, and have been driving them for 40 Kms or so...no light. Took it to the dealer anyways today, and told him I haven't had the D.I.D. say anything about the TPMS. He brought the tool out and scanned one sensor and it was recognized! He wasn't sure but they must have kept the memory from last winter. So, if you light doesn't come on, no trip to the dealer, and 50$ in your pocket!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:55 AM

Im getting OEM 18" GTS wheels and tires with the TPMS. i have a ES with 16" stock. Would i need to get it reset or will i be fine ? let me know folks.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erixon84
Im getting OEM 18" GTS wheels and tires with the TPMS. i have a ES with 16" stock. Would i need to get it reset or will i be fine ? let me know folks.
it is cheaper to have the tpms taken out of your es wheels and put into your gts wheels.

otherwise they will have to break down the gts wheels/tires anyway remove the tpms sensors, read their ids put everything back together then reprogram the car.

so your looking at 50-$100 for reprogram + whatever the dealership wants to rape you for for unmounting and remounting 4 tires in the end I think it would be about $200.

to swap just go to any tire shop tell them to take the sensors out and put them into the gts wheels, they shouldnt have to do a full break down if they are smart enough.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:13 PM

why would they need to put my ES TPMS into the GTS wheels if the GTS rims already come with it.? sorry im not good with this stuff.

Originally Posted by lancer0220
it is cheaper to have the tpms taken out of your es wheels and put into your gts wheels.

otherwise they will have to break down the gts wheels/tires anyway remove the tpms sensors, read their ids put everything back together then reprogram the car.

so your looking at 50-$100 for reprogram + whatever the dealership wants to rape you for for unmounting and remounting 4 tires in the end I think it would be about $200.

to swap just go to any tire shop tell them to take the sensors out and put them into the gts wheels, they shouldnt have to do a full break down if they are smart enough.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by erixon84
why would they need to put my ES TPMS into the GTS wheels if the GTS rims already come with it.? sorry im not good with this stuff.
If the other wheels already come with sensors, then just take them to mitsu and it should be 50$.... honestly it takes a whole 10 mins to do. They wave their little sensor tool over it, and voila!

To respond to my previous post of my summer rim sensors remembering themselves.... 20 kms later after the dealer the light came on... I called and talked to my service manager (we are on first name basis hee hee) So i will have to pay the 50$ to get them reprogrammed.
Old May 1, 2011, 09:24 PM

can you change the batteries of the sensors? i have to replace my stock dunlops, might as well change the tpms batteries if i can.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by R3P5AJ
can you change the batteries of the sensors? i have to replace my stock dunlops, might as well change the tpms batteries if i can.
No you can not,Currently that isnt possible. it sealed. The batteries are suggested to last up to 100,000miles or 5 years. Usually when your batteries goes dead, your tpms light would be solid,Meaning its low on air, dealerships should have a TPMS tool where it can pick up a signal. if there is no signal the battery is dead

I work on TMPS and im still learning about it everyday.

Last edited by Badhazard; May 3, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 04:54 AM

I can turn OFF TPMS System FOREVER on LANCER or OUTLANDER, but it needs to get your dealer to download unique config-file from the car & upload it back, after i make changes in it.

Last edited by ZYGARD; May 19, 2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

just an fyi for anyone with a 2010-2011 our sensors r different (differnt part #) from the 2008-2009s and i was told by the dealer they are not able to cross opefully this helps some people
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:12 PM

When i buy an new EVO X in USA is this TPMS Sytem original from MM in the car?

I bought mine here in switzerland an here is nothing like this mounted.
I asked my dealer to get this. An he says "i don't know this on EVO. But i will ask MM."
A few days later he send me a mail from MM and they sad its not possible on EVO X.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:38 AM

Do they get programmed or do they like auto program I got new wheels and my light is still on. I have a 2012Gt
Old May 4, 2012, 06:21 AM

You need to get them programmed to your car.
Unfortunately, Mitsu's only hold 4 TMPS codes at a time, so if you switch between summers and winters, you need to get them reprogrammed each time you change your wheels.
Dealership can do it for a fee.

Quick Reply: TPMS - the ultimate FAQ