Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, beyond. i am in Taunton, by the way.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ablunt
thanks, beyond. i am in Taunton, by the way.
I saw couple of Lancer around in Taunton. I might of see your car before. What color is your car?

Did you buy your car at Central Mitsubishi?

Last edited by beyonddc; Mar 26, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone if you can get your tires unmounted YOU CAN INSTALL TPMS ON AFTERMARKET wheels yourself, its easy i watched the guy do it to install into my msr wheels it just involves unscrewing the locking collar from the outside using a socket and poppin out the sensor , reverse to put back in and put tire on, infact the guy didnt have to take the tires all the way off. dont let discount rape you.

pep boys did it for 85.00 and that included a set of locking lug nuts.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 05:49 AM
Former Sponsor

has anyone figured out a way to disable this system yet? or at the very least come up with a product that can jam the sensors to make the car think everything is normal.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a start...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

i recently had a flat tire and i went to a local tire shop and after they fixed the tire (due to a nail apparently. who wouldve guessed) i still get the warning.. the guy said after a few miles it should go away but after a day of driving, the warning still appears..

do i have to go to the dealer and reset it?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I just want to Jam the thing. The hell with programing...
Someone has to have a device that can detect a Feq. and then duplicate it... that has to be such a thing
Old Aug 16, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Someone has to have a device that can detect a Feq. and then duplicate it... that has to be such a thing

Here is some interesting info:

http://www.mitsubishi-tpms.com/Mitsubishi-Endeavor.htm

From what i have read, the receiver might be in the ECU itself. I am almost 90% sure the output is a logic devel (dc voltage) that switches on or off when the tire falls below the threshold pressure (think it is 23psi but can't remember) and that signal is modulated on a carrier signal (probably MHz range) and transmitted to the ECU. The issue is that the unique sensor codes must match what is in the ecu/receiver to work so a bunch of data must be transmitted repeatedly. The only work around i know of so far is that the EVO guys who are running autx on racetires usually remove the tires at our events and have them onsite. Believe it or not as long as they are somewhere near the track the ECU still reads them. This won't do anybody any good tooling around town. I am sure sooner or later someone will come up with some type of transmitter that will read the codes and retransmit good pressure signals to the ECU.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
A guy at work did this and it works. I admit i was laughing my a## off when I read it but he said it works. Leave it to someone to find a way:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...pipe-bomb.html
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:13 PM

good evening to all.
im here in florida..i just installed my used wheels in my lancer 08 ES and the size is 17 i put 235/45 tires. then the "service required" keep buzzing. and i read my manual its the TPMS thing..can i ask to all of you. i have the stock wheels on my lancer now the size is 16 and my idea is to transfer the tpms thing to the rims i used it now ...you think it's work?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:04 PM

bump!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jer301
A guy at work did this and it works. I admit i was laughing my a## off when I read it but he said it works. Leave it to someone to find a way:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...pipe-bomb.html
I'm going to try this.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 03evo4g63
Another quick fact is that when changing tires, as long as you mount the tires back in the EXACT same location they came off of, you will not need to reset the sensors. But on a rotation, you will need to reset them. We actually have equipment to reset MOST vehicles. We have yet to have a new Lancer come in, so I'm not 100% sure if our equipment is compatible with Mitsubishi's TPMS or not. If not, we will usually send the customer to the dealership to have them reset.
I rotate my tires myself and have never had to reset the TPMS
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:51 PM

Alright, to see if I understand what I've read here... If I buy JUST new rims and transfer the tires and sensors etc over to the new rims, I still have to have the sensors reset?

Sorry... I'm slow

I broke a valve stem once and had to replace the sensor.. What a friggen nightmare! No one but the dealer could reset it. And I had 3 tire places try: Pep Boys, NTB, and a local place. NTB threw my ECU into a CEL (reset eventually). Local place and Pep Boys both said they can't do it. And no no matter how much you drive on it, it won't reset itself. I drove for 3-4 weeks on it after Pep Boys replaced the sensor before I could get to the dealer and every day I had to hold the damn button in.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:17 PM

Dealership I bought my car from quoted me at $450/set of TPMS, + $80 to install them, then $100 to program them each time I switch between my winters (stock rims) and summers (new rims). Those are Canadian prices, but regardless, sounds like a total rip off.
Simple question. I know having the TMPSs need to be done at a dealership, but other than OE TMPSs, are there other aftermarket TMPSs or ones off a different brand vehicle that would work? Someone mentioned Chrysler using the same OE TMPS as Mitsu. Can't justify paying almost $600 just for some tire pressure sensors.

Quick Reply: TPMS - the ultimate FAQ