Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - the ultimate FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my valve stem broke!

I went to fill my tires with air, and the valve stem broke off and deflated 2 of my tires and I replaced them with rubber stems for now. how much would I be looking to spend to get them replaced?
Old May 12, 2014, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

I got a 2012 ES with stock wheels(hub caps) and I'm thinking of getting the 2008-2011 GTS 18" rims and new tires on it. Do I just put the TPMS from my ES wheel onto the GTS wheels? Would I need it to be programmed? Also would I need new lug nuts? What kind? where do I get them? Price?
Old May 13, 2014, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ddoherty64
I went to fill my tires with air, and the valve stem broke off and deflated 2 of my tires and I replaced them with rubber stems for now. how much would I be looking to spend to get them replaced?
\
Good news!

Any tire shop can repair the sensor (so you won't have to pay to re-synch a new one)...

Kit costs $14
Install was ~$20 at my tire shop

VERSUS

TPMS+ synch installed at dealership was > $130

Kit is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20725-Tire-P...r#ht_500wt_916

Old May 13, 2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Newuser213
I got a 2012 ES with stock wheels(hub caps) and I'm thinking of getting the 2008-2011 GTS 18" rims and new tires on it. Do I just put the TPMS from my ES wheel onto the GTS wheels? Would I need it to be programmed? Also would I need new lug nuts? What kind? where do I get them? Price?
Do I just put the TPMS from my ES wheel onto the GTS wheels? Yes.

Would I need it to be programmed? No, because those are your "stock" sensors and it's already programmed to the car. If you bought new sensors or came from a different car, you would need to reprogram it.

Also would I need new lug nuts? Yes and no, it's a tricky question. Based on what you have said. I would say "no, you do not need new lugs". Reason being, Mitsubishi like to use "mag" style lug nuts. (Google it). Since you're using a Mitsubishi OEM wheel, most likely it is a mag style lug.

What kind? Depending on the wheel. Most likely mag style.

where do I get them? O Riley's, advanced, autozone, dealer

Price? Varies. Mag style isn't cheap.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Badhazard
Do I just put the TPMS from my ES wheel onto the GTS wheels? Yes.

Would I need it to be programmed? No, because those are your "stock" sensors and it's already programmed to the car. If you bought new sensors or came from a different car, you would need to reprogram it.

Also would I need new lug nuts? Yes and no, it's a tricky question. Based on what you have said. I would say "no, you do not need new lugs". Reason being, Mitsubishi like to use "mag" style lug nuts. (Google it). Since you're using a Mitsubishi OEM wheel, most likely it is a mag style lug.

What kind? Depending on the wheel. Most likely mag style.

where do I get them? O Riley's, advanced, autozone, dealer

Price? Varies. Mag style isn't cheap.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone figure out how to re-program the sensors yourself? Is there a scanner tool we can buy?

$40 every spring and fall.. when changing out snow tires is a bit much. Not to mention the hassle of going to the dealer.

There has to be a way.

Edit: Ok I found this.... anyone try it?

Amazon.com: ATEQ Mitsubishi Lancer Outlander Mirage Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Reset Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: ATEQ Mitsubishi Lancer Outlander Mirage Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Reset Tool: Automotive

Last edited by greenfire; Oct 11, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greenfire
Anyone figure out how to re-program the sensors yourself? Is there a scanner tool we can buy?

$40 every spring and fall.. when changing out snow tires is a bit much. Not to mention the hassle of going to the dealer.

There has to be a way.

Edit: Ok I found this.... anyone try it?

Amazon.com: ATEQ Mitsubishi Lancer Outlander Mirage Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Reset Tool: Automotive
I can program sensors for you.
As for the ATEQ
It looks like you need a reader or some sort of diagnostic tool to trigger the units as per the instructions on Amazon:

Operation:
1. Connect MitsuReset tool to the OBDII connector of the vehicle. Turn ignition on.
2. Press the MitsuReset "ON" button.
3. Use TPMS diagnostic tool to trigger TPM sensors.
4. After triggering all TPMS sensors on the vehicle, the green light on MitsuReset tool will turn solid indicating successful loading of the new TPMS ID's. Turn ignition off and disconnect the device from the vehicle. The TPMS light of the vehicle will turn off.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TPMS N.G.S.
I can program sensors for you.
As for the ATEQ
It looks like you need a reader or some sort of diagnostic tool to trigger the units as per the instructions on Amazon:

Operation:
1. Connect MitsuReset tool to the OBDII connector of the vehicle. Turn ignition on.
2. Press the MitsuReset "ON" button.
3. Use TPMS diagnostic tool to trigger TPM sensors.
4. After triggering all TPMS sensors on the vehicle, the green light on MitsuReset tool will turn solid indicating successful loading of the new TPMS ID's. Turn ignition off and disconnect the device from the vehicle. The TPMS light of the vehicle will turn off.

Yes, quite an investment now. Wish I has seen your setup earlier.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:57 AM

Im planning on transfering my tpms tomorow, thanx for the input!!!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 04:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greenfire
Yes, quite an investment now. Wish I has seen your setup earlier.
In case anyone needs help with the TPMS-

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...your-dash.html
Old May 14, 2021, 10:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tpms

Don't know if its been mentioned yet, but i know that after a certain period of time with the battery disconnected, the system will lose its assignment with the sensors and trigger a TPMS service required light. The low tire detection will still function, but it will always show the TPMS service light. I believe it takes about 14 days.

I have TE37sl's with sensors installed and assigned. The system was operating normally. I had the car apart to do a clutch, and the neg terminal was off the batt. for aprox 30days. Upon finishing the job, the TPMS service light appeared.

Afterwards, I got a low psi warning. I checked and had a low tire. After i filled it, the low psi light went out, but the TPMS service light remains on. I was also one of the lucky few to have the valve stem corrode and snap off while airing up a tire. What a joy that was.

Gotta love how mitsubishi designed the TPMS. Basically, its completely unserviceable by the ordinary owner, you get no indication of which tire(s) are effected when a fault is triggered, and its difficult to know if theres an actual low tire or a system fault.

Why couldn't they design it to work like Toyota? They just stick a button under the dash or in the glove box, allowing you to reset the system or force a relearn.

I hate TPMS anyway. Low tires have the ability to be checked with a gauge. PPL managed to operate vehicles close to a century without TPMS and the world continued to turn. If you need a warning light telling you the tires need air, maybe you should re-evaluate your ability to operate a vehicle.
Old May 14, 2021, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone who relies on a dash light to know when their tires need air should sell their car and start taking the bus.

All cars should have the option to disable TPMS
The following users liked this post:
Moss507 (May 15, 2021)
Old May 15, 2021, 08:48 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I get that it's a hassle to deal with, but the TPMS is a really nice safety feature. I picked up a nail on a road trip with my X and the TPMS gave me enough early warning to get off the road, inspect / fill the tire and take it to a tire place and have it patched. Without the TPMS it's likely I would have ended up on the side of the highway swapping on the spare, putting my family at risk and probably replacing the tire instead of having it repaired. The worst case could have been a blowout at highway speed.