Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Is my balljoint bad??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my balljoint bad??

So I had to take off my driver's side axle because it was clicking. We were unable to take the hub off the axle so I took the axle and hubs to have it rebuild. In order to remove the hub I had to separate the ball joint from the hub, below is the picture of the ball joint what I need to know is if I ruined it when I separated it:

Now before this there was no vibration or anything just the clicking when I turned from the cv joint. I just need to know if I ruined it or not. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you just use a picklefork to separate it? I had my bottom passenger balljoint go out on me. What would happen is going over bumps I would hear loud bangs coming from that side. Hard to tell in the pic its possible you might need a new one though looks kinda flattened.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I used a pickle fork. Like I said it was fine before but I want to be sure before I put it on.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

sorry can you tell if its bad by any chance, or would using the pickle fork not ruin it???
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience wth pickle forks is its MUCH easier to ruin ball joints. I learned my lesson and bought a remover that pushes down on the threaded shaft to remove it. I would put it back together and just keep an ear out for any unusual noises coming from that side, it wont hurt anything driving it for a little bit if it is bad only thing it can hurt is the already bad joint. Its really not that hard to remove that lower control arm if you find it is bad. I had to replace mine before I just got a whole control arm from a junkyard and put it on good as new.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

no noises yet. I do get vibration at about 80 mph but that could also be the tires not being balanced and the alignment that being accurate.