Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Eibach Spring

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eibach Spring

Okay Tyler here it is.
I couldnt PM you a pic so here it is.
Notice how the bottom coils are tighter?
You might have to take the front springs off the shock to see what side is up. ike I said on my front set of Eibachs the logo was actually upside down.
And of course it matters how you install it because these are progressive springs, not regular springs. It really doesnt matter which way you install the stock springs, but on a progressive set the tight coils are on the bottom to bear the weight of the car and as you hit a bump the top coils become progressively tighter thus maintaining some ride quality while still keeping the car lower to the ground.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Attached Images  
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Here is apic from the RRM site.
You will notice that the front springs...the fat ones have tighter coils on one end compared to the other end.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:12 PM

thats because, the picture they have are prob. not the one the actualy go on the lancer.. notice the one for the mirage is the same picture
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

WTF?

Those are progressive springs just like the ones for our Lancers.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

that helps alot mike. thanks. Changing those wed night. thanks for the tip
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

ANYWAY

Tyler,
Here is a more scientific synpsis:

A spring rate is derived from two things. First, the size of the material used, and second, the total number of inches of material used. If none of these things change, your spring rate will remain the same. Like our Stock springs.

Think of a progressive spring as a big "slinky" toy. The greater number of coils used, the slinkier it becomes.

The only way to change the rate would be to cut coils or colapse the coils (by heating them) and making them touch each other. These things happening would increase the rate, as you are removing the amount of material in the spring, then comes into play stress of a spring. Our Eibach springs are designed to take the stress of harder driving.

A spring may take a "set”, shortly after installation. Usually this is caused by a poor design or over stressing the spring (using it in the wrong application will over stress a spring). When a spring takes a "set" the rate of the coil has not changed, only the amount of load it will handle does. For example, if you have a 10" free length spring, at 100 pounds per inch rate, it will handle 500 pounds of load. If you reduce the same spring's length by one inch of free length, it will only handle 400 pounds of load before it reaches coil bind (the point at which the coils touch each other).

Your springs might be upside down which means they are touching anytime you hit a little bump or pothole. The spring rate is off and your springs are not supporting the wieght of the car.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I am installing these right NOW, and I have the same question. which side is the top? the tighter coils or the coils that are further appart? ANyone w/ eibach please help?!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

umm... I think that the post in the start of this thread answers my question, as the "eibach" written on the spring is upside down.... Please let me know if this is incorrect... im pretty sure this is right...

- Andy