Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Tires, once again tires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires, once again tires

Assome of you might know, I autocross my Lancer. I have a strut tower brace, intake, Eibach springs, and the RRM rear sway bar. I usually dont fair to well against othersin the STS class, due to the combo of my novice driving skills and the limitations of my car. At the last autocross I attended, I had a more skilled driver ride along with me to see what exactly I could improve on. First of all, he told me I wasnt driving at the limit, which he thought was good considering novices usually overdrive their cars. He also said the tires on the car were pure crap. He remarked he liked how the car felt balanced, at least for a front driver.

So Im left with getting new tires to be a more competitive driver. I want to get some 17 inch rims, and then some decent high performance tires. Ive set my eyes on the new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. Theresa few reasons for this. First of all, I was an intern at the Goodyear tech center this year and I know they truely are a good tire. Second, I get an employee discount,lol.

The problem I face is in sizes. I know most people shoot for a 205 45 R17 size, but the F1's dont come in that size. Icould go with a 205 40 R17, 215 40 R17, or 215 45 R17's. Any ideas? I figure the 215 40R17's would be my best bet, but I want to make sure they wont rub.

Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Isn't it a bit of a disadvantage autoxing with such large wheels to begin with? I'm kinda assuming they're not super light.

I'd try to squeeze the 215/45/R17's if I were you. The slightly extra width and sidewall would probably be beneficial. Just my own uneducated opinion, but based on my bugging a lot of people about this stuff in the past.

EDIT: They may rub ever so slightly if you fully cut the wheel, but I don't think it will be any sort of a handicap.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

im in the same boat as you except i dont even want to take a dry run until i get my new wheels and tires.. anywho, don't know what to tell you on the rubbing... since you ahve the hookup with goodyear maybe you can get a trial period to test them?

EDIT: n/m i see Hobie posted while i was posting. =)
Old Oct 2, 2002, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
goodyear sucks bridgestone potenzas all the way
Old Oct 2, 2002, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you lancer02Josh, that was the most helpful reply I have ever gotten. You truely are a special person. On a serious note, the Goodyear F1 GS-d3 beat all in a recent comparison test in EVO magazine. By the way it did beat Bridgestone's equivilent tire.

None of this matters though, because the Falken Azenis will rule all in STS class. Too bad they dont come in a fitment for the Lancer. Maybe my new best bud Josh will denounce these tires too. One can only hope. I love newbies.

Old Oct 2, 2002, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

i have gone threw like 6 brands of tires and for what its worth i hate toyo proxys avons are pritty good but the best set of tire i have ever had bf goodrich comp ta zr i dont know if we can fit them for the lancer they were on my stealth
Old Oct 2, 2002, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

first im not a newbie dick and second tests are bull **** it depends on what u like of course there are goin to be bad ones and good ones, but it depends on what you like and bridgestone has a bad rep anyway, they never get good scores, so go blow a donkey **** face
Old Oct 2, 2002, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Well that last comment wasnt very nice at all. You seem a little uppity for a Bob Marley fan. Im dumbfounded though on how you can say Bridestones are great if the get bad scores? Oh well, have fun with your Bridestones, and there is no need for name calling. You made me blush with the donkey comment.........

Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
Well that last comment wasnt very nice at all. You seem a little uppity for a Bob Marley fan.

what do you mean Falken Azenis don't fit? You already said you were going 17 right? They have a 235/40 series Azeni St115. Falken also makes other tires that would fit, although it's like buying a Lancer and not getting the EVO. gulp.
Old Oct 2, 2002, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Buying a Lancer and not gettin the Evo, lol. Yea, they do have 235s, but those seem a bit wide for the Lancer. Just a thought.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 11:57 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

The widest tire allowed in STS is 225, and most people are trying to get exactly that. But you should have 7-7.5" rims for that size (7.5 is the max rim width allowed in STS). Now, as far as brands, everybody I have seen racing STS agrees that BF Goodrich G-Force KD and Falken Azenis are the two best brands to race on. I ordered Falken Azenis 225 45 R17 to put on Motegi MR12s 17x7.5. They are a little heavier than Enkeis, and heavier than 15s or 16s, but the smaller diameter rim, the smaller the available tire width in the Falkens. Hope that helps, and let me know how other Lancers are doing in the Solo2 races out there!
Old Oct 6, 2002, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Granted I drive an auto (sucks), but I get my **** handed to me. Id like to think its the car and not the driver, but I think its the combo of the two. I want to get Tein coil overs, my question to you (since you seem knowledgable) is ar those coil overs legal? They do NOT have the pillow ball upper mounts, and as I read the rules that means they are legal......

And if they are not legal, what class to I get bumped to? Oh, hear anything about how Yokohama Prada spec 2's are in auto x? How do you do with your lancer?

Finally another Auto Xer!
Old Oct 6, 2002, 12:21 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

I have only autocrossed my Lancer once, number two is tomorrow morning (damn I gotta get to bed!). Raced a 94 Camaro and an 89 Trans Am before that. The Lancer is still stock, but the rims and strut bar should be here next week. I think you're still safe with those springs, but check this site out and maybe ask a race official first.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

And everybody I have asked says they hate Yokohama for autocross (which dissapointed me cause the AVS is on sale right now).

As far as how I do, I'm still not very experienced (especially on a new car), but I rate myself by how much slower I am than 1st place. I used to be 10 seconds behind, now I'm about 7 seconds behind. And just for kicks I'll take 2 seconds off of that since my car's still bone stock.

BTW, don't let the automatic get you down. It doesn't matter in Solo2, since both kinds should just stick it in 2nd the whole time anyway. My Trans Am was an auto, and so was the 1LE Camaro that kicked my @$$ (and everyone else's too).
Old Oct 6, 2002, 02:36 PM

Well , all i can see is here who has the best tires ...I can only talk from my time as a rally driver .. first of all you need to get a good set of donuts that are a soft compound so when they heat up the stick to the road , and i hope your only racing on the black top..the best set up for the lancer i have found is 205/40/17...on a 17"../7.0 rim if you have you car set up with all the RRM goodies you should do well but remember if your going to push it do it safe ..........and good for to get someone to ride with you to see what your limits are .
Old Oct 7, 2002, 10:19 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Just because I didn't think I should post a new thread, I autocrossed at Buttonwillow Raceway today. The course designer must have been a Vette or F-body driver, because this was the fastest auto-x course I have ever seen. I think it confused some of us, because we're not used to actually shifting during the race. Actually, I spent most of the time in 3rd gear! 1 mile course and TOD was under 60 seconds!! Anyway, the rally racer's post makes a lot of sense. Last month a rally team showed up at an auto-x and kicked some @$$ (even with their rally tires on!). Just make sure you don't get rubber with any less than 140 treadware rating if you wanna stay in STS.