Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

is this the transmission drain plug? picture inside...

Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this the transmission drain plug? picture inside...

i am planning to drain my transmission and refill the fluid so just wondering if this is the drain plug for the auto tranny? (for people who are still confusing it with the manual tranny) Please let me know.....thanx a ton!!

----------- EDIT ------------
Well, i did the tranny fluid change this morning and yes.....that is the right drain plug. It is located on the side of the transmission, not in the bottom unlike other cars.

Took about 4.75 qts of fluid. Each qt costs about $5.83+tax from the delearship and yes u must use the recommended Diamond SPF iii tranny fluid, using other brands will mess up the tranny in the long run.

Hope this will help other guys who are planning to do it at home.
-------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails is this the transmission drain plug? picture inside...-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by 04lancerEsGuy; Aug 29, 2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

On an auto tranny, I doubt it. Because why would we only install 2.1 quarts of tranny fluid? Don't think the make-up the tranny housings are the same-so I'd say nope...
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
On an auto tranny, I doubt it. Because why would we only install 2.1 quarts of tranny fluid? Don't think the make-up the tranny housings are the same-so I'd say nope...
I'd believe it. When you pull the drain plug, only some of the ATF comes out. That's why you have to flush the system to effectively change all the fluid.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Well, i did the tranny fluid change this morning and yes.....that is the right drain plug. It is located on the side of the transmission, not in the bottom unlike other cars.

Took about 4.75 qts of fluid. Each qt costs about $5.83+tax from the delearship and yes u must use the recommended Diamond SPF iii tranny fluid, using other brands will mess up the tranny in the long run.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:17 PM

how many miles do you have on yours while changing the tranny fluid? when should be the scheduled time to do tranny fluid flush???
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

every 30K
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:50 PM

well in that case i wont do it until i got the 60K. still have free maintenance until 45k.lol
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 04lancerEsGuy

First: The drain plug is located on the side of the transmission but facing towards the front of the car (at least on the manuals).
Second: I've been using RedLine trans fluid in mine for about 65k miles with no problems. They say "only use approved fluid" because that removes liability from the manufacturer if you buy your fluids from the dollar store. Royal Purple is good too.
Third: Doing this at home with an improper setup creates a horrible mess. If you have never done this before go to a shop, or hell even a jiffy lube, where you know you can watch them do it, even more so if it is a flush. I personally think it's such a mess because of how fast it drains and how wide the spray is that it's not worth my time to do myself.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Offender
First: The drain plug is located on the side of the transmission but facing towards the front of the car (at least on the manuals).
Second: I've been using RedLine trans fluid in mine for about 65k miles with no problems. They say "only use approved fluid" because that removes liability from the manufacturer if you buy your fluids from the dollar store. Royal Purple is good too.
Third: Doing this at home with an improper setup creates a horrible mess. If you have never done this before go to a shop, or hell even a jiffy lube, where you know you can watch them do it, even more so if it is a flush. I personally think it's such a mess because of how fast it drains and how wide the spray is that it's not worth my time to do myself.
First: Like i said, we are talking about the AUTO tranny here so you are completely on the different page buddy.

Second: For manual tranny, you can get away with any fluid it's just that AUTO tranny is the one that has to use the mitsu fluid. Check the manual before u speak.

Third: well if you are newb and dont know what u are doing that go to a jiffy to waste your hardly earned $$ but i would rather do it at home and learn something new,
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marshall15
how many miles do you have on yours while changing the tranny fluid? when should be the scheduled time to do tranny fluid flush???
I did mine at 33k, should have done it at 15k cause the fluid was dark as hell when it was draining.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

First: Like i said, we are talking about the AUTO tranny here so you are completely on the different page buddy.

Second: For manual tranny, you can get away with any fluid it's just that AUTO tranny is the one that has to use the mitsu fluid. Check the manual before u speak.

Third: well if you are newb and dont know what u are doing that go to a jiffy to waste your hardly earned $$ but i would rather do it at home and learn something new,
HAHAHAHA, Wow. All I said was that the drain plug is facing the front of the car so when someone else was looking for it they would have a better idea of where it's at.
SECOND: It doesn't matter that it's an automatic you can still use after market fluid and it won't mess it up. The manual says you should always use only Mitsu authorized parts right, just like the tranny fluid? So that cold air intake is that from Mitsu? NO?? OMG it's gonna mess your **** up! That catback and fuel rail not from Mitsu? YOUR ENGINE WILL EXPLODE!! Oh yeah, doesn't the Mitsu manual say to only let the dealership do the work? I try to maintain a level of politeness on here but when you post up WRONG information and in the same post call someone a noob it makes you look like a jackass, so don't be so quick to call someone out-- especially if you are going to be rude about it.
If someone doesn't know how much of a mess is caused by this and haven't done it before and don't have the right setup they should watch someone else do it first. It could be a hazard to someone who is under the car without eye protection and doesn't know how large the spray is when it's drained because it could get in their eyes.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:29 PM

Hey lancer04esguy, do you know if the 03 and 04 drain plug is in the same place??? I need to do mine badly, but don't wanna goto the dealership and let them rape me with a 75$ price tag just flushing my system
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Offender
HAHAHAHA, Wow. All I said was that the drain plug is facing the front of the car so when someone else was looking for it they would have a better idea of where it's at.
SECOND: It doesn't matter that it's an automatic you can still use after market fluid and it won't mess it up. The manual says you should always use only Mitsu authorized parts right, just like the tranny fluid? So that cold air intake is that from Mitsu? NO?? OMG it's gonna mess your **** up! That catback and fuel rail not from Mitsu? YOUR ENGINE WILL EXPLODE!! Oh yeah, doesn't the Mitsu manual say to only let the dealership do the work? I try to maintain a level of politeness on here but when you post up WRONG information and in the same post call someone a noob it makes you look like a jackass, so don't be so quick to call someone out-- especially if you are going to be rude about it.
If someone doesn't know how much of a mess is caused by this and haven't done it before and don't have the right setup they should watch someone else do it first. It could be a hazard to someone who is under the car without eye protection and doesn't know how large the spray is when it's drained because it could get in their eyes.
You are completely wrong.....the drain plug is not facing the front of the car, it is facing the left driverside wheel. Why try if you have never seen the drain plug on auto tranny.....keep in mind that Auto and Manual tranny both have different design.

Second: It will mess it up the tranny........like i said before and will say it again, you can use any fluid for MANUAL tranny but not for AUTO. Do some research before giving people wrong suggestions/ideas to fu(k up their car.

Also keep this in mind, i am not suggesting people to use mitsu recommended parts all the time, there are always some exceptions such as tranny fluid that we are talking about.

Before you say i am posting the wrong information, i recommend u use the search with the keyword "ATF" and see what others have to say. Dont tell me that other people are wrong and u are the only one right.

I was not telling people to do this at home.....i was just suggesting them that it is not really that hard. If you can't be cautious and are afraid of little sh1tt like chaning oil and fluids that than u shouldnt be into modding your car.

----------------- EDIT FOR SOME SEARCH RESULTS ---------------------------------
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...0&postcount=15

Originally Posted by LancerMarita
I used Redline for my power steering and manual transmission fluids, and they are great! The dealership in my area even told me that Redline was good, as I wanted to double check with them to make sure I DIDN'T have to use Mitsubishi fluids. The only fluid from the Mitsubishi that you HAVE to use is the automatic transmission fluid.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ne...eply&p=3329603

Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
Keep to what Mitsubishi recommends. Go to the dealership and ask for some power steering fluid and tranmission fluid. They're stuff is best for our cars! DIAMOND brand
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...74&postcount=6

Originally Posted by sandman43103
You must use the Diamond ATF SPIII fluid. A neighbor of mine chose to use a local shop's recommendation, and heard grinding within a month. His car was still under warranty, but of course, Mistu just laughed at him.

Find a shop with a machine, and price the fluid out at various shops and dealers. I got mine done for $155 at a local Navy garage.
Do i need to say more?????????

There is no point in arguing with stupid people as they bring u down to their level and beat you with their experience............that is what u are doing.

Last edited by 04lancerEsGuy; Sep 1, 2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ash_Lancer
Hey lancer04esguy, do you know if the 03 and 04 drain plug is in the same place??? I need to do mine badly, but don't wanna goto the dealership and let them rape me with a 75$ price tag just flushing my system
Yes they are in the same place as both models have same tranny. My fluid cost me only $31.38 w/tax for 5 qts which is not really that expensive compare to other synthetic fluids. If you can do oil change at home that i would say you can definately do the fluid draining at home.

Last edited by 04lancerEsGuy; Sep 1, 2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: edit to correct the price of fluid
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

excuse me BS flag i know alot of peeps running redline or mobile 1 tranny fluid with better results

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is this the transmission drain plug? picture inside...