Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Lancer 08 Warranty question! Having trouble

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer 08 Warranty question! Having trouble

I got this 08 Lancer (71k miles) which has a transmission problem, i took it to the closest Mitsubishi dealer to the warranty, the guy asked me if i did the 2 maintenance procedures that the car manual tells drivers to do its transmission. I didn't know about that procedure, so he told me that there was only 50% of chance of the warranty to work on the car's repair because the maintenance procedure wasn't done, this is ridiculous. Nobody knows about that procedure that the manuel indicates, is this true? Or they SHOULD repair my car without any cost because of the 10 year/100 miles warranty...?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CVT or 5 speed?

if it's a cvt, you had to do the cvt fluid change @ 30k-ish miles, then again @ 60k-ish miles. It also depends on what maintenance schedule you use; normal or severe. 70k+ miles on the same cvt fluid is really really really pushing it.

Didn't you read the warranty and maintenance manual? It pretty much outlines what needs to be done and when on what maintenance schedule. Unless you can prove that your lancer did not come with the owner's and warranty manual you might be SOL.

The 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is not cut and dry like some would think. If the owner neglects or fails to provide regular maint to the car, then the warranty can be voided. Even if the owner didn't know about certain maintenance that had to be done. Otherwise there would be rampant abuse of warranty claims on the grounds of owner ignorance; which would cost mitsubishi a lot. All the info is in the warranty and maintenance manual. You'll be surprised how easily your warranty can be dropped after you read the terms.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you seriously complaining about something that broke when you did no maintenance on it? The onus is on you as the owner to maintain the vehicle. So many customers come in to my shop complaining of a poor quality vehicle that broke down. Come to find out they haven't done any preventative maintenance on it, thinking that everything including air filters are covered under warranty. I don't know where people get this idea from.

If you didn't do a single oil change on your car ever and the engine blew up, would you demand a new engine from the manufacturer? This is the same thing. Hopefully lesson learned.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the other hand here, if it is a mechanical failure. Then it would be pretty easy to blame not changing the oil on it. But if its an electrical failure like a sensor, then you might have a fighting chance, as old oil is most likely not the reason for failure. Good luck with that.