Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

03 Lancer shifting weird

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Lancer shifting weird

I have an 03 Lancer OZ with 168K miles. The trans seems to be shifting slowly sometimes. It also just seems to act funny.. Kinda hard to explain. The fluid looks brownish. Would changing the fluid and filter resolve this problem?? Or do you think the trans is going out?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Change the fluid.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:05 AM

Ok, im going to change the fluid and i have been reading that the filter is internal. So im just going to drain and refill. Is there anything else that i could service on the trans to improve the shifting? I know on my honda there was a solenoid that i could clean and a smaller external filter.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sublime69
Ok, im going to change the fluid and i have been reading that the filter is internal. So im just going to drain and refill. Is there anything else that i could service on the trans to improve the shifting? I know on my honda there was a solenoid that i could clean and a smaller external filter.
Yes, i'm reviving this thread because I HATE unanswered questions and unresolved threads. When people search they should be able to get the answers they need.

The input/output sensors that sit on top of the trans like to fail. They're very easy to replace and I would recommend doing so if your shifting issues still occur. If someone would have posted this for me 4 years ago, I could have saved my tranny from failing
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Check the fluid for metal flakes when you drain it out, that's a prime indicator that your clutches are wearing out. If the fluid is a brownish color sounds like it's time for it to go, I'm not really sure where the filter is located(my all data sub. for my es isn't that informational), but commonly it's inside the pan and just pushes into a hole in the bottom of the trans. and seals with an o-ring, but if the filter is getting clogged I would think that it could cause a restriction in fluid flow, resulting in lower pressure through the valve body. I'm not too familiar with my Mitsu yet, but I did a fluid and filter change on my old 06 Impala.....wow I'm answering a LONG dead thread

Correction- the filter IS located internally and a HUGE PITA to remove. Mitsu only recommends removing the filter when in desperate need of cleaning.

Last edited by RT78; Apr 16, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 03:52 AM

My son is trying to replace the input sensor. I see you say it's easy and so does everyone else although he can't figure how to get to the bolt. He's in Milwaukee and I'm in NY. We've seemed to locate the sensor but don't know how to get to the bolt. IDK maybe looking at wrong sensor or from my view I can't see the easy do you go under that part I don't know what it is?

Old Jul 21, 2016, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Extensions and flexibility.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Yeah, often you need universal joints and various sized extensions to get at a bolt...that comes with experience, but it's not difficult to do...I can't really tell what's in the way because the picture you posted is low resolution...but if that can be removed, or moved you may need to move it...it's not uncommon either,to have to remove something to get at something else...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

That's actually the tail end of the shift cable. The bolt directly above the words "what is this" on the right hand side hold down the bracket that the cable presses into, there may be a second under the flexible wiring sleeve that may have to come out. It's been quite a while since I changed mine but I'm 100% positive I took the retaining bolts out for that bracket and just moved it slightly to get to the input sensor bolt, it made the job much easier.