Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT Transmission problems

I own a 2009 Lancer DE,
it has about 140k miles on it but I have taken extreamly great car of my car.
Just recently about 4 days ago.
My car started to make a small vibration when I accelerate from 0 -20 but once I get going the vibration goes away completely.

I would appreciate help if anyone has experienced this before No lights are on nothing my car seems to run fine other then the vibration.
Everyone I've taken it to ( Firestone, and a transmission shop) Says that its my cvt transmission acting up.

Any advice?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

It's a sealed and complicated transmission, not exactly something you can just repair. So if it is the CVT there isn't a whole lot you can do other than replace it.

You could change out the CVT fluid and see if that helps, but honestly if something is screwed up in there new fluid isn't going to fix it.

Does it happen every time you stop/go or only the initial start up?

Can you replicate the issue while in neutral?

Is it a vibration as in your car literally shakes/vibrates or is it a rattling noise?

If it's a rattle have you checked to see if anything under your car has come lose? Those plastic pins holding everything together down there will break over time, and the low RPM from 0-20 could be hitting a resonance frequency and making something rattle, especially if you have and after market exhaust.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:50 PM

I just tried it in neutral but nothing it accelerated in the RPMs just fine not vibration at all
And it is just a vibration no rattle at all and it does it every time from 0-20
Hoping since it didn't do it in neutral that maybe it's just a loose bolt
And I do have an after market exhaust

Last edited by Travis4584; Apr 30, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:45 AM

I have a Lancer EX 2010 and recently i came across a problem and no one knows how to fix it cos i cannot reproduce. I belive it's a CVT problem but not sure thou. This happened 4 times within 1 month. @ 1st when i came 2 a complete stop & the then tried to accelorate but the car didnt move. RPM goes abt 2000 & then its starting to move really slow and its heavy like the car is trying to pick up from the 3rd. couple of times this happened and took to the service but when i go there and when they check its working perfectly. The last time this happened i faced another problem after getting the car to move. I had to put the paddle 2 the floor for the car to go fast and even that it goes upto like 60-70 kmph and the RMP goes up to 4000. I felt like the gear wont shift from the 2nd or 3rd. I read an article with similar issues and he had changed A/T relay and it worked but just before doing that i wanna get some advice.
Old May 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

I have a similar issue, mine is while i accelerate or right after, i hear this noise that would best sound like a whale's matting call in the ocean, sorta sounds like what the brakes would sound like when they squeak but i know it isnt the same sound nor is it the brakes. Also when this happens if i put the car into neutral the sound goes away. Now i feel it has to be the trans or how the gears are shifting. This happens both in D or sport mode. Has anyone else come across this or heard about this?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 08LancerGTS_62
I have a similar issue, mine is while i accelerate or right after, i hear this noise that would best sound like a whale's matting call in the ocean, sorta sounds like what the brakes would sound like when they squeak but i know it isnt the same sound nor is it the brakes. Also when this happens if i put the car into neutral the sound goes away. Now i feel it has to be the trans or how the gears are shifting. This happens both in D or sport mode. Has anyone else come across this or heard about this?
Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but did you ever get this figured out? I have the same issue; A "grinding"/metallic/ whale mating call noise when I accelerate, usually in Sports mode (happens in both, usually around 1, 2 gear, or around 25-3000 RPM). Dealer says they couldn't find anything, bu I'm assuming they probably only had it in Neutral (doesn't happen then)

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

I actually ended up trading it for the 14 GSR. but same issue, never in neutral so thats why i thought the trans was going since its when you accelerate or shortly after you let off while driving. sometimes its loud others its very low, but to me it was like in my ear since I knew what it was, hated my Shamu . But I think it was either the convertor or the trans its self. Have them look at the convertor first. It was only in gear either D or S, but to me it was like when you are changing gears in either mode and it just wasn't shifting smoothly.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:49 AM

I own a Mitsubishi Lancer ex 2.0L model 2015. There is a vibration when gently braking upon traffic and the car stops..and when resuming/pressing the pedal. Any suggestions of the cause of such issues?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:04 AM

i have never serviced my 2010 mitsubishi lancer ES. Is it necessary to change the filter on the inside of the CVT transmission? Or can i just drain and change the fluid? also where is the fill plug for the transmission? i am also getting a low pitch humming from the transmission.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone heard of JATCO

Ok so I'm just a chic driving a 2009 Lancer (not a mechanic by any means), no turbo, but I have been researching the major problems of the CVT for close to a year. Over the last few years I have experienced the whining, the "slow down" mode, and loss of power. It seems there is not a clear answer but I think we are on to something here. JATCO is the firm that manufactures close to 50% of all CVT's. They are distributed to Nissan (who owns the majority of the shares of JATCO), Mitsubishi, Chrysler, and a few others. So, me and my honey were throwing ideas off of each other (again) we have replaced several sensors and had a transmission flush thus far...flush was last year and the fluid is already dark..so I asked him what keeps the fluid cool? And so after his research his idea is to replace the transmission oil cooler...so I immediately start researching about cvt transmission coolers, not using my cars make and model...(seems there is not a lot of info out there about this just the complaints). I ran into pages of forums and legalities about 2008-2012 Nissans with CVT's. Same problems and Nissan admitting the problem by not recalling, but doubling the warranty from 60000 to 120000 miles! Even reimbursing the repair costs for those who already had it repaired! So the CVT problems in the same years of Mitsubishi are the same CVT's from the same manufacturer. Replace your transmission oil cooler and possibly the lines and hopefully this will be the end to this nonsense!
The following users liked this post:
eman_226 (Oct 12, 2016)
Old Jun 25, 2016, 08:59 PM

Just to be clear on certain models there is a water cooler that is not compatible with adding the oil cooler...Es and de models you will need to replace the water cooler with a gts water cooler...I have a link here that may help...the water cooler with 4 fittings is what you must have to add the CVT oil cooler.
http://******************forums/topi...-cooler-de-es/

Last edited by Justagirl; Jun 25, 2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old Jun 25, 2016, 09:08 PM

Ok so this will not allow me to post this web link. So it is project lancer forums...I found it so hopefully you can...I know this has been Ridiculous and very unsafe for me driving with my children...I have had to pull over on busy highways and let the sensor reset that detects the CVT oil was getting too hot...many many times! So I feel the pain!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

The overheat on my DE 2009 transmission was cause by too much fluid in the transmission. The dipstick is incorrect for our car and they have a service bulletin that replaces the dipstick and the cvt fluid. The new dipstick full indicator is about 1/2" lower than the full indicator on the old dipstick. Apparently with too much fluid, the tranny overheats.

The dealer first said, you need to change your cvt fluid. I said, my cvt fluid is 6 months old. They I showed him the service bulletin #. They wanted to charge me since I was over 60K (the service bulletin only covered for free cars under 60K) showed them that I had changed the cvt fluid already twice at my cost. Plus your suppose to change the cvt fluid at 60K anyways, so if your at 50k and you hear the whine, they'll tell you that it needs to be changed and not that the dipstick needs to be changed. Its ridiculous. The mfg asked the dealer to swap my dipstick with the new one since this was my 4th mitsubishi and I told them I would switch to subaru if they didn't pay for this.

Do a search for cvt overheat dipstick service bulletin to find the posts about it.
The following users liked this post:
eman_226 (Oct 12, 2016)
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:46 AM

2010 Mits Lancer 2.4 engine

Bought my 2010 in 2015 with 65000 km on it...got a great deal. Car drove good with no real issues that i noticed at first. Then at about 120km every now and then i noticed that after driving the car for a bit...say 70 km stretch or so...there would be a delay in taking off from being stopped...like it wasnt getting fuel. I never really thought it was an issue with the tranny. This didnt happen on a regular basis and i didnt think much of ot other than getting an oil change and checking filters...never took to the dealership and no engine light would come on. I now have about 220'000 on it and a few months back i got a warning light, while driving on the highway doing about 120 - 130 km/hr...to slow down that the tranny was overheating...then the car went into a safty mode not allowing me to go above 80. Sgortly after that i noticed the car was having several issues with the rpm gauge shooting very hing under normal driving and unresponsive gas pedal at taking off...checked with the dealer and after one telling me to do a transmission fluid change...which i did...a second dealer said i would need to replace the CVT transmission. Pretty dissapointed as other than that its veen a great rig.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 04:33 PM

My 2011 mitsubishi lancer.

Well i bought my car from carmax it was a lease from mitsubishi long story short bought it with 49k miles got warranty on transmission and engine. So at 62k miles my transmission went out it was making a weird whine when it just wouldnt move into a gear. Had it towed said transmission went to **** got a used one under warranty but after driving another 5k on the new used transmission my check engine light pops up again. And now my car sometimes will not go over 2k rpms and limp mode. My mechanic said agaon my transmission went to ****. So these cvt transmission are no good.